Bear’s Trestman fueling doubt

Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman (right) answers questions during a press conference at Bears training camp Wednesday, July 23, 2014, in Bourbonnais, Ill.

By Michal Dwojak, Assistant sports editor

Many in Chicago and around the NFL are surprised by what Jerry Seinfeld would call the “Bizarro-Bears.”

Fans expected the team to be 5-3 heading into the bye week, not 3-5. The team has won games that it should’ve lost and lost games that should’ve been won.

Because of these results, several people have become targets for criticism. Jay Cutler. Brandon Marshall. Lamarr Houston. Every member of the Bears defense.

Head coach Marc Trestman hasn’t been able to escape that criticism. After being praised for the team’s performance in his first year as Bears’ head coach, many now question whether he can be a winning coach in the NFL and if general manager Phil Emery made the right decision when he chose Trestman.

When Emery made his coaching decision, he interviewed more than 10 coaches during the process, including Bruce Arians and Mike McCoy. There were rumors that Emery had either coach pegged as the next coach of the Bears, and after the fact, many close to the situation believe that Arians was the runner-up. Instead, Emery went to the Canadian Football League and hired the lesser-known Trestman.

After starting 3-1 last season, Trestman was hailed as the offensive genius that Chicago had waited for. His offense gave “Monsters of the Midway” a new meaning and gave defenses fits. He was the “quarterback whisperer,” able to make backup Josh McCown look like a Pro Bowl quarterback.

But despite some success, the Bears finished the season 8-8. The team could’ve made the playoffs if it beat the Lions or Packers. It did neither. After just an average season, questions began to arise.

Trestman’s in-game coaching decisions were popular targets for criticism last season. In the team’s loss to the Vikings, Trestman was criticized for taking a field goal attempt in overtime on an early down instead of trying to get closer. Robbie Gould missed the kick and the Vikings won the game on the next possession.

Early timeouts were called throughout the season and the team looked apathetic when it came to running a two-minute drill heading into halftime.

Entering his second season at the helm, there were high expectations for this team. With the success that the offense had last season and a year in the system under the belt, it was assumed the team would continue to progress and take advantage of its talented offensive weapons. Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker was kept on staff after coaching the worst defense in franchise history. Free agents like Jared Allen, Wilie Young and Houston were brought in to rejuvenate the defense.

None of those things happened.

The defense has continued to struggle. The league has finally caught up to the offensive genius, and he can’t change his scheme. Analysts and former players, namely Brian Urlacher, have called the team out for a lack of leadership after incidents in the locker room.

The organization fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6 record for this?

How are the other two coaches doing? Arians is with the Cardinals, and after a 10-6 first-year record, Arizona has a 6-1 record so far this year. He has finally made Carson Palmer a winning quarterback and coached a team that has been riddled with injury. The Cardinals share the best record in the NFL with the Broncos and lead a competitive NFC West.

What about McCoy? The Chargers finished his first season with a 9-7 record and lost to the Broncos in the AFC Divisional Playoffs. The team now has a 5-3 record, second in the AFC West behind Peyton Manning and his dominant Broncos.

Maybe Emery overthought the process. Maybe there’s a reason why Trestman has been with 13 NFL and collegiate teams during his career. Maybe there’s a reason why he was fired from North Carolina State and ended up with the Montreal Alouettes.

If the Bears don’t turn the ship around heading into the remaining portion of their schedule, maybe Trestman isn’t the right guy for the job.

Michal is a sophomore in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @mdwojak94