Illinois football hopes bye week will help against Iowa

Illinois’ Josh Ferguson runs the ball against Ohio State at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio on Nov. 1. The Illini will play Iowa at Memorial Stadium this weekend.

By Charlotte Carroll

Josh Ferguson wasn’t on the field last Saturday. Instead, he was at his apartment.

But he did have his mind on a game and his own gameplan.

Along with teammates Donovonn Young and Chris Boles, he watched Minnesota defeat Iowa and took away that the Hawkeyes are a “strong and simple” team. He watched Minnesota, who Illinois beat, come out and beat an Iowa team that Illinois will play this weekend.

“Minnesota played hard,” Ferguson said. “They played smart. When they had chances, they made plays. We have to do those things.”

After its second bye week, Illinois (4-5, 1-4 Big Ten) is looking for that same edge that helped them stun now-No. 25 ranked Minnesota.

This week, however, it’s the Hawkeyes’ (6-3, 3-2) turn to come to Memorial Stadium after the Illini’s week off.

The two teams will meet for the 70th time this Saturday but haven’t played each other since 2008. Illinois is coming off only its fifth ever season with more than one bye week.

Last season, Illinois, in a win over Miami (Ohio), snapped a 10-game post-bye week losing streak that started in 2002. The Illini added another win to that total against Minnesota and are hoping to keep the new streak alive with a victory over the Hawkeyes.

On Saturday, Illinois will once again have Wes Lunt back after a fractured fibula sidelined the starting quarterback for four of the last five games. Teammates and coaches are excited to have him playing Saturday.

“When he’s in the game, it gives us another tempo, a different style of offense that we’re able to run… It’s faster, more upbeat,” wide receiver Geronimo Allison said. “He sees stuff before we see it, and he’s able to check to different stuff.”

For the offensive coaches, the bye week couldn’t have come at a better time because it gave Lunt a chance to recover even more.

Offensive coordinator Bill Cubit noticed the effect Minnesota’s bye week had on its win over Iowa.

“I know Coach (Jerry) Kill pretty well, and you know he is going to get the kids (ready),” Cubit said. “I’m telling you, bye weeks are huge at this time of the year. You’re just so beat up. It gives you an opportunity to just sit back with the quality control, getting your kids healthy. You’re refreshed.”

Cubit’s hoping to see results from Lunt after getting those extra weeks to heal without worrying about a game.

But the biggest worry for coordinators will be a lack of experienced protection from the offensive line with starter Ted Karras out for the season with a torn ACL and torn MCL.

“It’s a big concern,” Cubit said. “It really is… But it’s always a concern.”  

Using the bye week, the Illini are planning on doing different things with the offense to shake it up and surprise Iowa, according to Cubit.

While the bye week provides the time, ultimately it’s up to the players and coaches to utilize the time.

“These kids understand that you earn the right to be successful on Saturday,” Banks said. “But there isn’t (any) secret magic just because it’s a bye week. We’ve got to practice great.

Charlotte can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter

@charlottecrrll.