Big Ten power rankings: Week 15

By Daily Illini Staff Report

DAILY ILLINI STAFF REPORT

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini football staff ranks the football teams in the Big Ten 1-14 and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings. 

1. OHIO STATE (Last week: 1)

The Buckeyes outlasted rival Michigan 42-28 but quarterback J.T. Barrett for the season, putting doubts into the team’s ability to win the Big Ten title game against Wisconsin.

2. MICHIGAN STATE (2)

The Spartans won’t be in the Big Ten Championship game this week, losing their spot to No. 6-ranked Ohio State, but only have two losses on the year at the hands of No. 2 Oregon and the Buckeyes.

3. WISCONSIN (2)

The Badgers clinched a spot in the Big Ten title game with the help of another big game from Melvin Gordon, running for 151 yards.

4. NEBRASKA (4)

It took a fourth quarter comeback and overtime for the Cornhuskers to beat Iowa this week, which wasn’t enough for head coach Bo Pelini to keep his job.

5. MINNESOTA (6)

The Golden Gophers’ offense was hurt by a terrible passing game in Saturday’s 34-24 loss to No. 14 Wisconsin. Minnesota was 5-for-18 through the air for just 95 yards.

6. IOWA (5)

Four interceptions hurt the Hawkeyes as they let a win slip away against Nebraska last week, losing 37-34 in overtime.

7. ILLINOIS (13)

The Illini are bowl-bound after their defense forced five turnovers and the offense put up a season-high 47 points against Northwestern.

8. RUTGERS (11)

The Scarlet Knights’ defense allowed Maryland 471 total yards but outgunned them through the air with 491 total yards of their own in a 41-38 win.

9. MARYLAND (8)

The Terrapins allowed Rutgers 347 passing yards in Saturday’s loss.

10. PENN STATE (10)

The Nittany Lions’ rushing game has struggled this year, gaining just 38 yards on 22 carries in a loss to Michigan State on Saturday.

11. MICHIGAN (9)

Quarterback Devin Gardner’s 233 yards weren’t enough to push the Wolverines past Ohio State and into the postseason, losing 42-28. 

12. NORTHWESTERN (7)

The Wildcats had five turnovers in a 47-33 loss to Illinois, erasing their hopes to reach a bowl game this season.

13. INDIANA (14)

Hoosiers’ running back Tevin Coleman reached 2,036 rushing yards on the year as his team beat Purdue for its first conference victory of the year.

14. PURDUE (12)

Four turnovers plagued the Boilermakers as they lost to Indiana on a final-minute touchdown drive.