Illinois baseball suffers its first two loses of the season

By Michal Dwojak, Assistant sports editor

The Illinois baseball team traveled to South Carolina this weekend looking to continue its undefeated season. With its best start since 1986 when the team started 7-0, the Illini wanted to build upon their already strong start.

However, costly mistakes in close games and cold bats didn’t allow the team to escape its third weekend of the season without suffering its first losses. A passed ball against Ball State on Saturday and a wild pitch versus Kent State on Sunday resulted in go-ahead runs and the Illini’s first two losses of the season.

Illinois (8-2-1) split the weekend in the first four games of the Chanticleer Classic in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, beating West Virgina, going 1-1 against Ball State and losing to Kent State. Head coach Dan Hartleb attributed the losses to the team’s inability to overcome obstacles.

“We just haven’t come up with a lot of big hits in crucial situations,” Hartleb said. “It’s about finding ways to win when things aren’t going great for you, just being able to fight through that.”

The Illini suffered their first loss of the season against Ball State on Saturday despite a strong pitching performance from Drasen Johnson. The senior threw seven scoreless innings, struck out six and only allowed four hits. Illinois’ bullpen couldn’t hold the 1-0 lead and allowed two runs in the bottom of the eighth on a single and a passed ball. It was Johnson’s second no-decision of the season — he didn’t allow a run in either outing.

Illinois tried to return to its winning ways in its first game Sunday against Kent State. Two Illini, second baseman Reid Roper and right fielder Casey Fletcher, hit home runs, helping Illinois to a 3-1 lead. Those three runs would not be enough. Senior pitcher Rob McDonnell surrendered three runs in the top of the sixth, giving the Golden Flashes a 4-3 they wouldn’t give up.

Illinois couldn’t take advantage of strong pitching performances in both of its losses, something the players were disappointed about after the game.

“We’re not taking consistent at-bats,” Fletcher said. “(The Illinois pitchers) have been throwing really great games and we just haven’t been able to help them out.”

Pitcher John Kravetz came out dealing in Sunday’s second game against West Virginia. The senior pitched seven scoreless innings, giving up four hits and striking out nine. The Illini bullpen allowed a run in the bottom of the eighth but Illinois responded in the top of the ninth — Ryan Nagle hit an RBI groundout to give Illinois a 2-1 lead that Roper would protect to earn his first save of the season.

One of the highlights of the weekend was the return of pitcher Kevin Duchene, who dazzled against Ball State on Friday in his season debut. After missing the first two weekends because of off-the-field issues, the junior threw seven shutout innings and struck out nine, giving up five hits.

“It was a breath of fresh air,” Duchene said of finally making his season debut. “It’s all about getting out there and helping my team win. When the privilege is taken away from it makes you think about what that privilege means.”

Illinois will take a short bus ride to Conway, South Carolina, where it will finish the weekend against Coastal Carolina on Monday. The Chanticleers have received top-25 votes and are the highest-ranked team so far on the Illini’s schedule.

@mdwojak94