Two different uniforms for Illini baseball’s Grey Schultz

Illinois’ Grey Schultz (26) looks out onto the field from the dugout during the baseball game v. Northwestern at Illinois Field on Saturday, Apr. 4, 2015. Illinois won 11-4.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

Grey Schultz slowly marches out of the Illinois baseball team’s clubhouse just off the third-base line of Illinois Field. The 5-foot-10 Champaign native sprayed baseballs toward the end of the cage. He’s only played in four games of Illinois’ 32 this season, but when his name is called, he’ll be ready.

In between the fence and the doors to the building lie the bullpen and two batting cages. For a little time before practice, the redshirt freshmen bullpen catcher was hitting a ball off a tee, wearing a navy Nike t-shirt that read “Illinois baseball” in orange letters.

This is not the lone uniform he wears.

His other uniform doesn’t read “Illinois” or even “Fighting Illini,” and it holds greater importance than a baseball uniform.

His other uniform is for the United States Navy.

Schultz is a sophomore at the University who divides his time between the Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) and Division I baseball.

Although balancing the two isn’t easy and requires a large amount of discipline, he knows he has the support of both groups, each seeking to help prepare him for his future.

“It’s been pretty difficult,” Schultz said of balancing baseball and ROTC. “ROTC has been real lenient, they’ve allowed me to miss certain things to come and play baseball because they understand it’s beneficial for my hopeful development as an officer in the military.”

Schultz’s journey to the Navy started during high school thanks to his mentor, Brad Sheafe. The Air Force pararescue jumper was a leader at Schultz’s church and took Schultz under his wing. During this time, Schultz grew spiritually in his Christian faith and realized the importance of serving others.

Under the direction of Sheafe, Schultz realized that there would be no better way of helping his community than to serve it.

“The military sounded good,” Schultz recalled. “What better than to serve for the greatest country in the planet?”

With good academic standing, he was lucky enough to earn a scholarship to attend the University. But there was another facet of his life: baseball.

During his time at Champaign’s Centennial High, he was named a Big 12 all-conference honorable mention, caught four no-hitters, had a career .360 batting average and led the team to a regional title in 2013.

Despite his success, America’s pastime wasn’t the lone sport he excelled in. He was a two-sport athlete, having earned seven total varsity letters, four for golf and three for baseball.

At golf he was an all-area, a two-time all-conference selection and a state qualifier. He managed to balance both sports, a trait that would prove beneficial for his future.

Upon graduation, Schultz knew that baseball might not his calling — there weren’t any offers waiting for him. But upon his enrollment at Illinois, he decided to try out for the team in the fall of his freshman year, made a good impression and was asked to join the team.

With his busy schedule, the coaching staff and players wanted to make sure that Schultz could manage the heavy demands that each organization requires. The team wanted him to be a part of the Fighting Illini family.

“It’s been unreal,” Schultz said about the support from the team. “Coach on the first day said, ‘Whatever we need to do to make this work, you let me know, we’ll make it happen.’

“The only reason I’m able to do both of them is because there’s leeway on both sides,” he added. “On the baseball team, everyone’s been so flexible with everything, it’s been great.”

Schultz began to forge his identity in both groups. For the baseball team, he’s been the bullpen catcher. He didn’t play last season and barely appeared this year. But the lack of appearances doesn’t diminish the impact he’s had. He’s helped the pitchers grow as they try to develop new approaches to their craft.

He holds a similar role within the ROTC program, which offers leadership development essential for becoming a Naval Officer. There are early-morning workouts three days a week, drills in the afternoon, marching, briefings with fellow members and other events. Schultz talks to the squad all the time to keep up communication.

The constant whirlwind of things to do can lead to hectic days. Schultz uses Google calendar to remind him where he needs to go and what he needs to do. The method isn’t perfect. He does have to miss events for ROTC and miss workouts with the team. Sometimes he gets in trouble for forgetting about an ROTC event he has to go to. But with those mistakes, he learns.

Some players are impressed that he’s able to balance the two so well. Many find it hard just to manage the rigors of baseball, which is why Schultz has earned the admiration of the team.

“It’s impressive,” second baseman Reid Roper said. “He brings a lot of energy. He always enjoys being here, and I think he’s handled (balancing the two) real well.”

Schultz plans to graduate from the ROTC program in two years, after which he will be a Naval officer for eight years.

During his two remaining years at Illinois, he plans to continue his baseball career.

The similarity between the two obligations is easy to recognize. The baseball team is a brotherhood that goes out each day to work together, something Schultz and his ROTC platoon do every day. His dedication to the two is something that will help him when he leads men and women in the future but is also something that many recognize as a value he adds to the Illini right now.

“I have great respect for Grey in what he does to be a part of our program and how much he helps us while having a lot of other things that he needs to stay on top of and be involved with,” head coach Dan Hartleb said. “I have great respect for what he is doing for us now and even a greater respect for what he’s going to do for us and our country three, four years down the line.”

When Hartleb calls Schultz’s name, he will march to the plate with “Illinois” written across his chest. His name will be announced to cheering. This applause, however, will be incomparable to the appreciation he will receive when he wears his other uniform.

That gratitude will not come from a crowd of 1,000 people, but rather from a nation applauding one of its sons who just wants to serve.

@mdwojak94