Illinois announces independent review of Beckman

Illinois’ Tim Beckman during the game against Western Kentucky at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2014. Chancellor Wise announced an independent review of Beckman on Wednesday.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The University announced Wednesday that Chancellor Phyllis Wise has requested the assistance of the Office of University Counsel in securing the services of an independent, external expert to conduct a review of the allegations against Illinois head football coach Tim Beckman.

The external reviewer is Franczek Radelet of Chicago, which specializes in employment, labor and education cases, according to its website.

According to a statement released by the University, “It is premature to establish a timeline for completion, as the inquiry process will likely include a review of documents, interviews and other fact-gathering efforts.”

The University will release information once the process concludes according to “student privacy concerns, legal responsibilities, the need to respect the integrity of the process and an obligation to be transparent.”

Division of Intercollegiate Athletics Director Mike Thomas asked Wise to commission the review.

The review is commissioned in response to allegations made by former Illinois player Simon Cvojanovic on Twitter on Sunday of player mistreatment under Beckman.

@mdwojak94