Cubs have an Illini good luck charm

The Chicago Cubs greet Kris Bryant (17) after his walk-off home run during the ninth inning on Monday, July 27, 2015, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

By Kevin McCarthy

Ben Larson has the coolest professor of all time — hands down.

The University of Illinois junior was able to snag tickets for the wild card play-in game between the Cubs and Pirates on Wednesday night in Pittsburgh. There was only one problem.

He has an exam the following day and it’s an eight-hour drive from Pittsburgh back to Champaign.

Larson went out on a limb and asked one of his professors if he could re-schedule his exam so that he could attend the big game. I contacted Larson, and asked if he thought there was any chance of his professor saying yes.

In one of the most heroic turn of events since the dawn of time — the professor said yes, and moved the exam to accommodate Larson. The junior took to Twitter to announce the news.

This professor deserves to be paraded through campus on a golden throne fit for a king.

If you’re reading this, Mr. Amazing professor man — or ‘Dave’ — please contact me so I can personally thank you, shake your hand and buy you a bejeweled crown to wear for the rest of your life for being the greatest instructor in the history of ever.

Even though he’s a south-sider, Barack Obama owes this professor a call for his heroic deed.

As a die-hard Cubs fan since birth, this game means the world to me as well.

In case you’ve been living underneath a rock — the Cubs are good this year. The team won 97 games in the regular season. The franchise has only matched or bettered that mark twice since the end of the second World War.

The lovable losers will put their magical ride on the line Wednesday night for all the marbles.

Nine innings — for the sake of my own health, I hope it doesn’t go any longer than that — to decide who gets to keep playing October baseball, and who has to go home.

Thankfully for Chicago Cubs’ fans everywhere, our newest good luck charm, Ben Larson, will be in attendance.

Bring out your billy goats — heck, call Steve Bartman — it doesn’t matter. We’ve got Ben Larson on our side.

Don’t believe in divine intervention? Well, you should now.

It’s easier for a camel to pass though the eye of a needle than it is to get a University of Illinois professor to change his or her exam policy. Seriously.

Unless you lose a limb or come down with a bad case of the plague — U of I professors have almost no sympathy when it comes to re-scheduling an exam. But this guy got his exam moved for a baseball game.

Call it whatever you want, but that’s truly something spectacular.

One thing I’ve learned in my years of being a Cubs loyalist is that the north-siders can always find a way to break your heart.

Yet no matter what, just like Taylor Swift’s ex-boyfriends — you’ll keep coming back. Because darling, they’re a nightmare dressed like a daydream. You, like Taylor, love the players. And like her ex-boyfriends, you love the game as well.

Putting T-Swizzle lyrics aside, these Cubbies just always keep you coming back even after they break your heart into 1,000 little pieces.

This year might just be different. If you believe in magic like Cubs’ manager Joe Maddon does, then maybe you know what I mean.

This year’s ride has been un-like any other. This team just always finds a way to win.

Ben Larson’s story only betters my argument. The Cubs have magic working on their side.

Any team can have a bad century, right?

It’s time to put an end to the miserable, 107 year World Series drought.

It all starts Wednesday at 7:08 p.m. With Jake Arrieta on the bump and Ben Larson in the stands, the Cubs will be just fine Wednesday night.

Thank you, Professor Dave. You’re the real MVP.

Kevin is a sophomore in Media.?

@KevOMcCarthy?