Big Ten football power rankings: Week 10

By Daily Illini Football Staff

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini football staff ranks the
football teams in the Big Ten 1-14 and compiles the lists into its own
Big Ten power rankings.

1.Ohio State (Last week: 1) — The No. 3 Buckeyes managed to stay perfect despite a mediocre performance against Minnesota in their 28-14 win. Cardale Jones threw for 187 yards and one touchdown. He also ran for 65 yards and added another touchdown with his legs while Ezekiel Elliott ran for 114 yards and a touchdown.lb

2. Iowa (3) — C.J. Beathard helped the No. 7 Hawkeyes avoid disaster in Bloomington, Indiana, in Iowa’s 35-27 win over Indiana. The junior stayed in the game after injuring his back on a touchdown run and threw a 10-yard touchdown pass with 6:03 left in the game.lb

3. Michigan (4) — Jake Rudock had a career day in No. 15 Michigan’s 49-16 win over Rutgers. The quarterback threw for two touchdowns, a career-high 337 yards and ran for a touchdown.CC

4. Michigan State (2) — A questionable call at the end of the No. 14 Spartans’ 39-38 loss to Nebraska might’ve made the difference. Nebraska quarterback Tommy Armstrong connected with Brandon Reilly for a touchdown that was reviewed — Reilly stepped out of bounds before receiving the pass, but the referees claimed that he was pushed out, and the play wasn’t overturned. Michigan State Connor Cook couldn’t get the ball out of his hands on the last play of the game and ended the contest with an incomplete pass.CC

5. Wisconsin (5) — The No. 24 Badgers bounced back from a poor first half in Wisconsin’s 31-24 win over Maryland. Joel Stave threw for 188 yards and a touchdown while Tanner McEvoy had two interceptions.CC

6. Northwestern (7) — Jack Mitchell gave the No. 22 Wildcats the 23-21 win over Penn State by nailing a 35-yard field goal with nine seconds left in the game. Zack Oliver threw for 111 yards, one touchdown and interception each after Clayton Thorson exited the game with a lower-body injury.CC

7. Penn State (6) — The Nittany Lions’ comeback at Northwestern fell short in their 23-21 loss. Christian Hackenberg threw for 210 yards and an interception while receiver Geno Lewis threw a touchdown and Saquon Barkley ran for 120 yards.CC

8. Illinois (9) — The addition of Josh Ferguson made a big difference in the Illini’s 48-14 won over Purdue. The senior running back ran for 133 yards and had 41 yards receiving. Second-string running back Ke’Shawn Vaughn ran for 180 yards and with 23 receiving yards.CC

9. Minnesota (8) — Mitch Leidner tried to lead a fourth-quarter comeback against Ohio State, scoring 14 points, but the effort fell short. The junior threw for 281 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the 28-14 loss.lb

10. Nebraska (12) — The Cornhuskers pulled off the unthinkable in Lincoln, Nebraska. Armstrong Jr. led a 98-yard drive in 38 seconds which included the controversial pass to Reilly.CC

11. Indiana (10) — The Hoosiers hung in there with unbeaten Iowa but couldn’t finish in their 35-27 loss. Nate Sudfeld threw for 180 yards, a touchdown and an interception while Jordan Howard ran for 174 yards and two touchdowns.CC

12. Maryland (13) — Interim head coach Mike Locksley and his team kept it close with Wisconsin but couldn’t hold off the Badgers off at home in a 31-24 loss. Perry Hills and Caleb Rowe split quarterback duties and each threw a touchdown and an interception.CC

13. Purdue (11) — Things got bad for the Boilermakers a week after their win 55-45 over Nebraska. Purdue allowed 382 rushing yards and 213 passing yards while David Blough threw for 174 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions in the 48-14 loss.CC

14. Rutgers (14) — A difficult season continues for the Scarlet Knights after their 49-16 loss to Michigan. Chris Laviano threw for 97 yards and an interception while the defense allowed 337 passing yards.