Illinois women's golf completes top-5 finish in Hawaii

By Mike Gasick

By Mike Gasick

Assistant sports editor

The Illinois women’s golf team had the opportunity to play in Hawaii for its competition over this year’s spring break.EJ The team traveled to Oahu, Hawaii to play in the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational, earning a fifth-place team finish.EJ

The Illini posted a 301 in its first round, a 292 in the second and a 299 in the third round.EJ

Sophomore Dana Gattone led the way for the Illini in the first round. She sank three birdies in the round, scoring a 74.EJ Her individual performance was good for 16th place.EJ

Junior Stephanie Miller closely followed Gattone’s score, posting a 75 to take a share of 22nd place.EJ

Texas A&M was the leader after the first round with a team score of 281, good for 7-under. Texas and Oklahoma State were the only other two teams that finished the first round under par.EJ

The Illini were able to finish their round in the top-five, scoring a 301.EJ The team trailed fourth-place Pepperdine, who finished at 294.EJ

In the second round, freshman Bing Singhsumalee stole the show. She rebounded from a first round 76 to go four under with a 68 in the second.

Singhsumalee’s score was the seventh-lowest in Illinois women’s golf program history. She jumped 21 spots in the standings, propelling her to a two-way tie for ninth place.EJ

Sophomore Grace Park also improved from her previous round’s performance of 76, with a second-round 73 that brought her to 23rd place.EJ

The Illini ended the day with a team score of 155, good for +11 and remained in fifth place.

The second round brought plenty of change in the standings. Oklahoma State took over the No. 1 spot, followed by Pepperdine, Texas A&M, Texas and Illinois, respectively.EJ

The team finished out the third round strong, with mid-70 scores from multiple players. Miller barely missed a top-25 finish, ending the round with a 76.EJ

Singhsumalee continued her dominant pace in the third round, ending with a 13th-place individual finish.EJ

Illinois travels to Kennesaw, Georgia to compete in the Henssler Financial Intercollegiate tournament March 28.EJ The team did not participate in this competition last year.EJ

@Mike_Gasick? [email protected]