Finding passion in rugby

By Jori Parys, Contributing writer

Senior Kayla Bibbs was rushed to the emergency room during the Illinois women’s club rugby practice with a dislocated knee.

The senior flank-lock was determined to play again and went through months of physical therapy to came back for a final season.

Risking her well-being, Bibbs played for no personal recognition or scholarship money but for the love of the game.

“Once I start something, I can’t stop, I have to keep going,” Bibbs said. “Plus, I love my team, and we are a family. It has definitely enhanced my college experience and gotten me involved. As a transfer, it gave me an outlet to grow and try something completely different.”

Bibbs learned about the club rugby team when signing up her first year at Illinois. It did not take long to find her passion for the sport, and she finished her final season with the team this spring.

The club is completely run by student athletes and receives little benefits, unlike other athletic programs on campus.

While most Big Ten campuses offer the sport recreationally, the University of Illinois was the first in the United States to create a women’s rugby club in 1973.

Women on campus can join the club by signing up and attending practices, and there are currently about 32 players on the team.

“My experience with Illinois women’s rugby club has been amazing,” player Sirena Mota said. “I am so happy to be a part of a team with so much diversity. The energy the team gives is amazing and having new people come in eager to learn continuously makes things better.”

With no coach, matches are set up through the USA Rugby Association. Players look to hire all necessary staff for matches and tournaments. The club receives no medical assistance through the University and is also independently funded.

During the season, the team practiced twice a week and would travel about one to two times a month.

A tradition on campus for many years, the rugby club has given a sense of belonging to those involved. With passionate players such as Biggs, the team hopes to continue its strong history.

“Kayla has been one of the most committed team players, coming to practice and games despite not being able to play during her injury,” teammate Julie Ozols said. “She organized everything for the team last semester and really goes above and beyond.”