Big Ten basketball power rankings

The+Purdue+Boilermakers+celebrate+a+76-75+win+against+Ohio+State+at+Nationwide+Arena+in+Columbus%2C+Ohio%2C+on+Thursday%2C+Jan.+5%2C+2017.+

TNS

The Purdue Boilermakers celebrate a 76-75 win against Ohio State at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on Thursday, Jan. 5, 2017.

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini sports staff ranks the basketball teams in the Big Ten, 1-14, and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. Purdue 24-6, 13-4

Purdue clinched an outright conference championship after Iowa upset Wisconsin. This is Purdue’s 23rd regular season championship and its first since sharing it with Michigan State and Ohio State in 2010. Watch out for the Boilermakers this week during the tournament.

2. Maryland 24-7, 12-6

Maryland had itself a nice 2-0 week with wins over Rutgers and Michigan State. The win over Rutgers snapped a three-game skid. Maryland will look to carry this momentum into the conference tournament this week.

3. Minnesota 23-7, 11-6

Minnesota continued to stay hot with a win over Nebraska. The win extended the Gophers’ win streak to eight, which tied Minnesota with Wisconsin for the longest conference streak this season.

4. Northwestern 21-9, 10-7

It’s becoming known as “The Play” and “The Pass.” Whatever you want to call it, Northwestern won on a miraculous full court pass and buzzer beater layup to take down Michigan. The Wildcats are looking like a shoo-in for the NCAA Tournament.

5. Iowa 18-13, 10-8

The Hawkeyes are hot at the perfect time. Iowa is on a four-game winning streak and had wins over Maryland, Wisconsin and Penn State. This type of play may get them in the discussion for a seed in the NCAA Tournament.

6. Michigan 19-11, 9-8

Michigan entered its game with Northwestern after winning five of six games. A Wildcat buzzer beater put the Wolverines back in the loss column. Derrick Walton Jr. had 15 points and six assists against Northwestern.

7. Michigan State 18-13, 10-8

Michigan State followed a win over Wisconsin with two straight losses. The Spartans fell to Illinois and then Maryland. Michigan State is 2-3 in its last five games.

8. Wisconsin 22-8, 11-6

Wisconsin fans should be very worried at how the Badgers have been playing as of late. Wisconsin went 0-2 with losses to Michigan State and Iowa. After the loss to the Hawkeyes, Wisconsin has gone 1-5 in its last six games.

9. Illinois 18-13, 8-10

The Illini were in the midst of a four-game winning streak and choked against the worst team in the Big Ten. Just an absolutely disappointing end to the season for Illinois. The loss all but ends Illinois’ hopes for an at-large bid.

10. Ohio State 17-14, 7-11

The Buckeyes had a 1-1 week, securing themselves a winning season, but a below .500 conference finish. JaQuan Lyle scored 17 points off the bench for Ohio State in a one-point win over Penn State.

11. Indiana 17-14, 7-11

The Hoosiers ended their season on a high note with a win over Ohio State in a high-scoring contest. Before the win, Indiana lost to rival Purdue by 11 points in West Lafayette.

12. Rutgers 14-17, 3-15

When it looked like all hope was lost, Rutgers snapped a six-game losing streak with a win over Illinois. The win over the Illinois came exactly one month from the Rutgers’ last Big Ten win against Penn State on Feb. 4.

13. Nebraska 12-17, 6-11

Nebraska suffered back-to-back blowouts, losing to Illinois by 16 and to Minnesota by 15. Regardless of the outcome in Sunday’s season finale against Michigan, this will be head coach Tim Miles’ fourth year with a below .500 conference record in five seasons.

14. Penn State 14-17, 6-12

The Nittany Lions suffered losses to Ohio State and Iowa, finishing the regular season on a five-game losing streak. This has been a rough year for head coach Pat Chambers, who has suffered his sixth-consecutive losing Big Ten season.

@di_sports