Illini see individual progress at Indiana Relays

Photo COurtesy of Illini Athletics

Jacob LaRocca clears 5.11m at theBig Ten Outdoor Championships at the University of Iowa on May 10.

By Savaughn Anderson, Staff Writer

The Illinois men’s track and field team traveled to Bloomington, Indiana, to partake in the Indiana University Relays, which hosted the University on Friday and Saturday.

The relays took place at Indiana’s Gladstein Fieldhouse. Coming off winning seven event titles in last Saturday’s Illini Invitational at Illinois’ UI Armory, the Illini were looking to put on an outstanding performance for this upcoming meet.  

The Illini did not win any events at this recent relay but did place in eight of the 29 events hosted, including the 60-meter dash, shot-put, pole vault, 200-meter dash, 800-meter dash, the miles and the 3000-meter run.

One notable Illini athlete that placed in these recent relays was redshirt sophomore Irwin Loud, who placed fourth in the mile with a time of 4:14.84.

Four Illini athletes placed in the 800-meter dash with redshirt freshman Brendan Lockerby leading the way with a time of 1:55.94. Sophomore Phillip Hall finished second for the Illini with a time of 1:58.07. Freshman Edwin Siuda came third with a close time with Hall of 1:58.96 while freshman Will O’Brien finished for the Illini with a time of 2:00 flat.

Redshirt freshman Logan Hall placed 16th overall in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:52.68.

Redshirt junior Cooper Jazo and redshirt senior Jacob LaRocca both competed in the pole vault. LaRocca finished the event fifth overall with 5.24 meter while Jazo finished eighth with 5.16 meter.

Redshirt freshman Kashief King both competed in the 60-meter and 200-meter dash. King finished 21st overall in the 60-meter dash with a time of seven seconds while finishing 20th overall in the 200-meter clocking in at 22 seconds.

Five Illini athletes came in to wrap up what was left of Illinois ranking in these recent relays. All five participating in the shot-put, redshirt freshman Will Rezny and classmates Billy Matzek, Brian Keyes and Matt Bilek lead the way for the Illini with Rezny’s total of 15.91-meter, Matzek’s 15.55-meter, Keyes’s 14.73-meter and Bilek’s 14.09-meter.  

After this meet, the Illini will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete in the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational at the Bob Devaney Sports Center Indoor Track. This meet will be a two-day event starting on Friday and ending on Saturday.