Big Ten cancels men’s conference basketball tournament

Photo Courtesy of Tribune News Service

With empty stands all around, a Big Ten Network camera operator waits to cover the first game on day 2 of the men’s Big 10 basketball tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis on March 12.

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

The Big Ten will be canceling the remainder of the conference tournament for men’s basketball, effectively immediately, the league announced Thursday morning in a press release. The Southeastern Conference and the American Athletic Conference also canceled their league tournaments Thursday.

“The Big Ten Conference will use this time to work with the appropriate medical experts and institutional leadership to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic,” the Big Ten stated in the release. “The main priority of the Big Ten conference continues to be the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and media as we continue to monitor all developing and relevant information on the COVID-19 virus.”

Illinois was scheduled to play at approximately 2:30 p.m. Friday against the winner of today’s second-round matchup between Minnesota and Iowa.

Editor’s Note: This story is developing and will be updated as news arises. 

@meghan_rest