Illinois’ leading scorer transfers to North Carolina

Cameron Krasucki

Junior Guard Petra Holešínská speeds around a defender during the match against Indiana on Feb. 13 at State Farm Center. The Illini lost 54-59.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

Former Illinois women’s basketball player Petra Holešínská officially announced via her Instagram and Twitter that she will transfer to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The redshirt junior guard previously announced on March 11 that she would be leaving Illinois but was still in the process of making her commitment.  

This past season, Holešínská led Illinois in scoring, three-pointers made and three-point percentage. In spite of the Illini’s disappointing season, Holešínská had a career year, culminating with her being named an honorable mention on the All-Big Ten team.

In her four years at the University, she averaged 10 points per game, 3.5 rebounds per game and shot 36.4% from the three-point range. She endured a coaching change, a torn ACL and team struggles. However, she did enjoy plenty of individual success.

Previously, Holešínská has talked about her desire to play in the NCAA tournament, a feat she did not accomplish in Champaign-Urbana. North Carolina is coming off an NCAA tournament appearance, and head coach Sylvia Hatchell has made 23 NCAA tournament appearances in her 34 years at North Carolina.

Holešínská’s absense will be felt next year as she was the Illini’s primary perimeter threat. She will leave Illinois as fifth all-time in career three-point field goals made, sixth in career three point-percentage, eighth in single-season three-point field goals made (2019-2020) and fourth in single-season three-point percentage (2019-2020).