Illinois travel to South Carolina for Briar’s Creek Collegiate Invitational

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Athletics

Isabel Sy swings her club during a tournament in Florida in early February. The women’s golf team will soon travel to South Carolina to compete in the Briar’s Creek Collegiate Invitational starting on Monday.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

After a month hiatus of competing, the Illini women’s golf team are set to travel East for the two-day Briar’s Creek Collegiate Invitational that will start on Monday.
The Illini will be in John’s Island, South Carolina for their third exhibition match of the season after placing 10th and 7th at their respective previous tournaments. The 54-hole invitational will be hosted by the College of Charleston and the Illini will face some familiar faces from the Big Ten (Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Penn State).
Illinois started off their season on Feb. 7 in Sarasota, Florida for the Hero Ladies Intercollegiate and then a week later on Feb. 14 traveled back to Florida for the Moon Golf Invitational.
Freshman Isabel Sy was the best scorer for the Illini at their last meet with a 4-under 68 to give them a sixth place finish in the 18-team event. Senior Ali Morallos also had a great performance last tournament, where she was the Illini’s second-best scorer with an even-par 72.
Recently the golf program announced that Alise Knudson has officially signed on to the golf program at Illinois after an illustrious high school career. The Dallas, Texas, native has a long list of tournament championships from the 2020 season, which she’ll hopefully bring to the table this year for the Illini.
After Briar’s Creek, the Illini will have two more remaining invitationals before they compete at the Big Ten Championship on April 23-25. Afterwards, the team will hopefully have a chance to represent Illinois at the NCAA Regional Championships that will take place May 10-12.