Setters preview: Get set for Illini volleyball season

Photo Courtesy of Craig Pessman/Illini Athletics

Diana Brown celebrates during the game against Maryland on March 20. Illinois volleyball setters are set to make a big impact this season.

By Enji Erdenekhuyag, Staff Writer

Illinois has a trio of setters this season: graduate student Kylie Bruder, redshirt junior Diana Brown and freshman Brooke Mosher. 

Following last year’s shortened season, Bruder decided to opt in to the NCAA’s eligibility extension and play for a fifth year. Considering her performance throughout the seasons, Bruder’s return is a strong suit for the Illini. The Florida native saw action in all 18 matches and 71 sets last year and ranked second on the team for most assists, logging in 134.

Brown, former member of the Big Ten All-Freshman team, led the team in assists with 542 and was behind senior libero Taylor Kuper in digs with 190. She also hit 10 double-doubles last season, five of which were earned consecutively. 

Though Mosher is a newcomer, she has a lot of experience under her belt. Mosher played for FC Elite Volleyball Club and Waterloo High School, where she was a three-time team captain and MVP. She currently holds the school record for kills and aces. 

Former Illini setter Mica Allison graduated early last year, trading the Midwest for the Atlantic Coast to play beach volleyball at Florida Atlantic University while pursuing a master’s degree. Allison played in six matches and totaled 16 kills, eight blocks, six digs and one assist. 

Illinois will showcase these talents later this week as the Illini are making their debut Aug. 27 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin against University of California, Santa Barbara.