Illinois to play home opener against No. 2 North Carolina, hold grand opening of Demirjian Park

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics

Redshirt senior Hope Breslin smiles during a game. Breslin, named Top Drawer Soccer team of the week, is set to make a huge impact during the Illinois soccer teams game against North Carolina on Thursday at Demirjian Park.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois (2-0-0) has had a wicked start to its season scoring nine goals in two games and have only conceded once. With a lot of momentum on the back of their heels, Illinois’ biggest challenge yet will be at its season home opener at the new Demirjian Park against No. 2 North Carolina (2-0-0). 

“We’ve waited for this moment in Illinois soccer for a long time,” Rayfield said. “The ability to create an experience for our fans is something that we’ve just hungered for, and I’m so excited for the loyal fans that have been coming to temporary bleachers and walking up to a concession trailer to really have what an Illinois soccer experience should be like and to have the scoreboard and to have the fans and for them to be close to the field and experience the action and experience the level of soccer that they’re going to see Thursday night — I think about it and get goosebumps.” 

The Illini have some history with the Tar Heels, especially head coach Janet Rayfield since it is her alma mater. She will be reunited with her former head coach, Anson Dorrance — who remains at the helm — as they go head to head. 

Rayfield’s history as a Tar Heel dates all the way back to 1979, which was the inaugural year of the school’s soccer team, Dorrance’s first year as head coach and Rayfield’s freshman year. 

North Carolina is well known in collegiate women’s soccer for its reputation. The Tar Heels’ history features a lot of former and current United Women’s National Soccer Team members, but also many appearances in the NCAA Tournament, with the most recent being a semifinal finish in the spring, and 22 national championships. 

During her four years in Chapel Hill, Rayfield won one Associate for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women National Championship and one NCAA National Championship. She also was named Nike Soccer Player of the Year in 1981 and has her name listed in the record books for the Tar Heels. Most notably, she sits second in career goals at 93 behind Mia Hamm at 103. 

“You look back and think about how things were back then, and how things are now, and how much has changed, and how much time has gone by and what that journey has been like,” Rayfield said when asked about her memories as a Tar Heel. “I think every time you see the uniform and think about that, you do, you kind of go down memory lane, and I even think more so you look at just how far the sport has come, at how much I’ve come, how far Carolina soccer has come and Illinois soccer for that matter. So I think you just really reflect on that journey.”  

As for the present, Illinois isn’t getting the amount of goals that Rayfield was getting in her day, but the Illini are on a strong scoring streak. 

Scoring nine goals in two games isn’t something Illinois has seen in a while, especially winning by a margin of four goals in two consecutive games. Last time the Illini got close to scoring this many goals was 2019, when there was a spell of winning 3-1 and 3-2 during the first three games of the season. 

“I knew that this team had the ability to be dangerous, I knew this team had the ability to be organized defensively. … I think preseason we looked and saw some really positive things, and I think we’re going to continue that and roll with that and continue to get better,” Rayfield said. “Those nine goals are great, it’s a great start, I think it gives our attack some confidence, but we’re still focused on getting better because I don’t think this team has scratched the surface of what they are capable of.”     

It’s clear the offensive switch has turned on after the loss to Notre Dame, and the hard work to get the attack consistently producing scoring opportunities is working. The nine goals scored so far nearly equals the amount scored from last season, which was 14. 

Not only is the offense back to what their game is, but Hope Breslin is back to her scoring ways. Against Mizzou she picked up one goal, and she netted a hat trick on Illinois State’s home grass. In the spring, she went scoreless and picked up one assist.

“A lot of it (scoring) has to do with playing in the summer, I played on the (NJ/NY) Gotham Reserves in the WPSL league,” Breslin said. “I feel like I really learned a lot from the coaches, a lot from the players. It was a great environment, and I really think that set me up for success for the fall.”

Her success so far has led her to be named to Top Drawer Soccer’s team of the week for the first week of Division I play.

With the attack of Breslin, Makena Silber, Kendra Pasquale, Sydney Stephens and Maggie Hillman — along with Maeve Jones and Abby Lynch coming off the bench — Illinois has the potential to be a threat in the Big Ten and fight its way back to the top. 

Breslin has been pushed up top closer to goal than her usual position in the midfield, which has allowed Stephens or Kennedy Berschel to step in and add their style of play into the attack. 

“I feel like I’m one line closer to the goal now,” Breslin said. “I also did kind of play that role in the summer as well, so that kind of gave me that practice and knowledge to play. I’ve played past seasons with Kenny (Kendra Pasquale) and Mak (Makena Silber) up top so we kind of know how each of us work and what we like.” 

North Carolina stands in the way of continuing the momentum Illinois has had. Like the Illini, the Tar Heels are also on a two-game winning streak and have scored five goals while conceding one. 

Facing an all-around team with strength and experience in North Carolina, Illinois is going to go in as huge underdogs, but the plan is that the Illini going to go in strong and play to the level of the Tar Heels.

“I think we’ve show in these first two games that we can be dangerous, that we can do the things that it takes to compete at that level. … Now, we’ve got to do it,” Rayfield said. “We’ve got to step that up, we’ve got to play with more discipline, we’ve got to be more organized, we’ve got to be quicker in our transition moments. This is a great test for us, and I think will give us an opportunity to keep doing the things we’ve been doing — maybe just a step faster, maybe with a little bit more discipline, and I think if we do those then we can have a successful outing on Thursday.” 

Illinois will have to look out for forward Rachel Jones and defender Maycee Bell, as they were both named to the preseason All-ACC team. 

Jones has 12 goals and assists to her name and earned a spot on the Hermann Trophy Watch List. While Jones has scoring ability, she also has some last-ditch defensive clearances like this to add to her resume. 

The season opener will be Thursday at Demirjian Park at 8 p.m. and will be livestreamed on the Big Ten Network.

“You can expect a very competitive game,” Breslin said. “We’re going to give it all we have, and I’m sure they’ll give all they have. We really want to protect our field, protect Demirjian Park. It’s going to be our opening night, our opening game, so we kind of want to show everyone what we’re made of and show ‘If you’re going to come here and play us, we’re going to do everything in our power to protect this field and come out with a win.” 

@AngelleCortes