Calvin Hart Jr. undergoes season-ending knee surgery

Calvin+Hart+Jr.+%285%29+returns+a+fumble+for+a+touchdown+during+the+game+against+Nebraska+on+Aug.+28+at+Memorial+Stadium.+Hart+underwent+season-ending+knee+surgery+and+will+miss+the+remainder+of+the+2021+season.+

Lanie Hibel

Calvin Hart Jr. (5) returns a fumble for a touchdown during the game against Nebraska on Aug. 28 at Memorial Stadium. Hart underwent season-ending knee surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

After transferring from North Carolina State and making a huge impact in Illinois’ opening-weekend win over Nebraska on Saturday, linebacker Calvin Hart Jr. underwent knee surgery and will be sidelined for the remainder of the season, head coach Bret Bielema announced Thursdaty.

Hart made an impressive debut for the Illini, earning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week and Chuck Bednarik Award National Player of the Week honors after recording six tackles, one sack and a fumble recovery that he returned for a 41-yard touchdown.

“Hard work is my friend,” Hart wrote in a statement posted on Twitter. “Perseverance is my nature. What has happened is part of the game I love. I will be back stronger and better than before. I appreciate the continued prayers, love and support.”

The linebacker position is one of the Illini’s deepest units, and Khalan Tolson, Tarique Barnes and Alec McEachern are expected to fill Hart’s spot.

Illinois plays the University of Texas at San Antonio on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:40 p.m.

@JacksonJanes3