Illini Paralympians update: Martin wins two silvers; Scaroni, Romanchuk secure gold medals

Photo Courtesy of Tasos Katopodis / Getty Images

Brian Bell looks to pass the ball to a teammate on Sept. 1 at the Tokyo Paralympics. Team USA played against Turkey on Sept. 1.

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor

The Paralympics kicked off last week in Tokyo, with several Illini competing for Team USA. Here’s how the Illini have done at the Paralympics:

Tatyana McFadden (Wheelchair racing, USA):

McFadden came into the Paralympics with 17 Paralympic medals. This week, she added to her collection, winning a silver medal in the T54 800 meters on Sunday and a bronze in the T54 5000 meters on Friday. She finished fifth in the T54 1500 meters final Tuesday morning.

Amanda McGrory (Wheelchair racing, USA):

McGrory finished third in her heat in the T54 800 meters Aug. 28 and sixth in the final on Sunday.

Ray Martin (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Martin received a silver medal in the T52 400 meters Friday, and he followed it up with a second silver in the T52 1500 meters on Sunday.

Daniel Romanchuk (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Romanchuk finished in fourth place in the T54 5000 meters on Saturday, finished fifth in the T54 1500 meters on Monday and won the gold medal in the T54 400 meters on Sunday. 

Aaron Pike (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Pike competed in the T54 5000 meters on Friday, finishing fifth in his heat. He finished ninth in his heat in the T54 1500 meters on Sunday.

Brian Siemann (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Siemann finished sixth in his heat on Friday in the T54 5000 meters and fifth in his T53 400 meters heat on Saturday. 

He got fourth place in the T53 400 meters final on Sunday, and he placed sixth in his T54 1500 meters Sunday. He finished fifth in his heat in T53 100 meters Tuesday night. He finished eighth in his heat in the T53 800 meters Wednesday night and will be competing in the final Thursday morning.

Alexa Halko (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Halko placed sixth in the T34 100 meters final on Saturday.

Kelsey LeFevour (Wheelchair racing, USA):

LeFevour finished eighth in the T53 100 meters final Wednesday morning and will compete in the T53 400 meters Wednesday night.

Yen Hoang (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Hoang finished third in her heat on Saturday in the T53 800 meters and finished in eighth in the finals on Sunday.  She finished ninth in the T53 100 meters final Wednesday morning and finished sixth in her heat in the T53 400 meters Wednesday night.

Hannah Dederick (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Dederick finished fourth in her heat in the T54 100 meters on Tuesday night and finished fourth in the T54 100 meters final Wednesday night. She also finished sixth in her heat in the T54 400 meters Wednesday.

Chelsea McClammer (Wheelchair racing, USA):

McClammer finished fifth in her heat in the T53 800 meters on Saturday. She finished sixth in the final on Sunday.

Jenna Fesemyer (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Fesemyer placed seventh in the T54 5000 meters final on Friday. She placed sixth in her heat in the T54 1500 meters Monday.

Eva Houston (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Houston placed eighth in the T34 100 meters final Saturday.

Susannah Scaroni (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Scaroni placed second in her heat in the T54 800 meters Saturday, and she won bronze in the T54 800 meters final on Sunday. 

She won gold in the T54 5000 meters on Friday. Scaroni won her heat in the T54 1500 meters Monday and finished ninth in the final on Tuesday.

Isaiah Rigo (Wheelchair racing, USA):

Rigo placed third in his heat in the T52 400 meters on Thursday and competed in the finals Friday. He placed seventh in the T52 1500 meters final on Sunday.

Steve Serio, Brian Bell and Ryan Neiswender (Men’s wheelchair basketball, USA):

Bell scored 20 points and led all scorers in Team USA’s opening game against Germany on Aug. 24 while Serio had four points. Team USA defeated Iran, 65-41, on Thursday. Serio had 12 points, Bell had seven and Neiswender had four.

The U.S. lost to Great Britain on Saturday, 64-63. Serio had 10 points in the loss, and the USA defeated Australia, 66-38, on Sunday. Serio had 15 points in the win.

Team USA closed out group play by defeating Algeria, 86-25. Neiswender had six points, Bell had five and Serio scored two. The U.S. defeated Turkey in the quarterfinals Tuesday night, 52-45. Bell scored 18 points and Serio scored 11. The U.S. will play Spain in the semifinals Thursday.

Kaitlyn Eaton and Ali Ibanez (Women’s wheelchair basketball, USA):

The USA women’s wheelchair basketball team lost to the Netherlands, 68-58, in the first game of group play. Neither Ibanez nor Eaton played. Team USA then defeated Spain Thursday, 68-34. Ibanez did not score, and Eaton did not play.

Team USA lost to China Saturday, 42-41. Ibanez did not score, and Eaton did not play. Team USA closed out group play with a 62-21 win over Algeria Sunday. Eaton scored six points, and Ibanez notched four.

Team USA played Canada in the quarterfinals, winning 63-48 on Monday, though neither Eaton nor Ibanez played. The U.S. will play China in the semifinals Wednesday evening.

@obrien_clairee