Illinois cross country competes at Notre Dame, Jon Davis secures second-place finish

Photo Courtesy of Illinois Track & XC Twitter

Graduate student Jon Davis begins his run competing at Notre Dame in the Joe Piane Invitational Friday. Davis came in second-place in the five-mile race.

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor

The Illinois men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at Notre Dame in the Joe Piane Invitational Friday. Illinois had not competed in the meet in many years, with the women’s team last running at Notre Dame in 2013,  and the men last ran at Notre Dame in 2016.

Both teams competed in the “blue” events, with the men competing in the five-mile race while the women ran the 5000 meter race. The women’s cross country team finished 12th out of 25 teams, and the men finished 20th out of 23 teams.

Graduate student Jon Davis led the Illini in the five-mile race, finishing in second with a time of 23:11.6. Florida State’s Adriaan Wildschutt won the race with a time of 23:06.7.

Freshman Tyler Cushing was the second Illini to cross the finish line, finishing in 57th place with a time of 24:37.1. Sophomore Jack Roberts, the third Illini to cross the finish line, finished in 120th place with 25:15.1.  Junior Colin Yandel was the fourth Illinois runner to complete the race, finishing with a time of 25:28.3 and in 133rd place. Sophomore Michael Madiol finished in 165th place with a time of 26:20.2. Sophomore Ben Giblin finished in 169th place with a time of 26:29.0, while freshman Nicolas Dovalovsky finished 173rd with a time of 26:43.8.

Senior Emma Milburn led the Illini women, finishing in 49th place with a time of 17:02.3. Junior Olivia Howell was the second Illini to cross the finish line, finishing in 59th place with a time of 17:10.1. Graduate student Rebecca Craddock finished soon after, finishing in 65th place with a time of 17:12.1. Graduate student Allison McGrath was the fourth Illinois runner to finish, completing the race in 17:14.3 and in 68th place. Freshman Annalyssa Crain was the fifth Illini to complete the race, finishing 91st with a time of 17:24.2. Freshman Margaret Gamboa finished 112th with a time of  17:33.5, and freshman Halle Hill finished 142nd with a time of 17:50.4.

In the women’s 5000 meter open race, senior Madison Marasco finished 12th with a time of 17:34.6, and freshman Sam Poglitsch finished in 19th place with a time of 17:58.8. Junior Katie Hohe finished 48th with a time of 18:35.4, and redshirt senior Caroline Fix finished 59th with a time of 18:46.8.

Redshirt senior Irwin Loud led the Illini in the men’s five-mile open race, finishing 18th with a time of 25:36.8. Sophomore Anthony Maida was the second Illini to finish, with a time of 26:24.5 and in 51st place. Junior Bennett Melone finished 64th with a time of 26:38.8 and was the third Illini to cross the finish line. Junior Edwin Siuda was the fourth Illini to cross the finish line, finishing 66th with a time of 26:39.8, and sophomore Will Giblin finished with a time of 27:00.5 and in 76th place.

Both the Illinois men’s and women’s cross country teams will travel to Tallahassee, Florida for the NCAA Pre-Nationals Oct. 15.

@obrien_clairee