Illinois quarterback Artur Sitkowski to miss remainder of season with broken arm

Cameron Krasucki

Art Sitkowski (9) celebrates after Illinois’ 30-22 win over Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Aug. 28. Sitkowski broke his arm on Saturday against Penn State and will miss the remainder of the season.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Illini quarterback Artur Sitkowski will miss the rest of the 2021 season after breaking his arm in the fourth overtime of Saturday’s game against the No. 7 Penn State Nittany Lions. Sitkowski finished his first season in Champaign with 704 passing yards and six touchdowns.

Sitkowski took over the starting role from Brandon Peters, who has struggled with injury and consistency issues throughout the season. The Rutgers transfer filled in for Peters in the first half of Illinois’ season opener against Nebraska, guiding the Illini to a 30-22 win at Memorial Stadium while going 12/15 for 124 yards and two touchdowns.

Starting against both UTSA and Virginia, Sitkowski threw for over 200 yards in both games, amassing 266 yards and three touchdowns against the Roadrunners on Sept. 4 and 221 yards and a touchdown against the Cavaliers on Sept. 11 in Charlottesville.

“(Sitkowski) unfortunately did break his arm,” said head coach Bret Bielema Monday afternoon. “He will have surgery on Wednesday, so he will be done for the year.”

Though Peters started against Maryland, Purdue, Charlotte and Wisconsin, Sitkowksi took over against the Badgers and went 8/27 for 55 yards in the Illini’s 24-0 Homecoming loss. Sitkowski earned the starting nod against Penn State and went 8/19 with 38 yards and an inteception before going down with the injury.

Sitkowski will require additional surgery on his shoulder and will likely miss spring practices, though Bielema believes he should be ready for Illinois’ 2022 opener against Wyoming next season.

@JacksonJanes3