No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics prepares for top-5 matchup, takes on No. 2 Oklahoma at Huff Hall

Gymnast+Ashton+Anaya+balances+himself+during+his+still+rings+event+against+Ohio+State+on+Feb.+5.+The+Illini+will+be+going+against+Oklahoma+on+Saturday+for+their+second+home+meet+of+the+regular+season.+

Sydney Laput

Gymnast Ashton Anaya balances himself during his still rings event against Ohio State on Feb. 5. The Illini will be going against Oklahoma on Saturday for their second home meet of the regular season.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

The No. 5 Illini are in for a tough matchup in their second home meet of the season before they hit the road again for some Big Ten conference matchups.

The men’s gymnastics team will take on the No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners at Huff Hall on Saturday after previously securing a victory in their last meet in Huff Hall against Ohio State, 400.750-394.500, on Feb. 5.  

During their last meet, the Illini earned multiple event titles, including some on the rings, high bar, vault, pommel horse and parallel bars.

The Illini’s two-meet win streak should help carry over some momentum as the team is looking to secure a win against this Oklahoma gymnastics program. 

This meet marks the first time Oklahoma will compete in Huff Hall since the 2018-2019 season, when the Illini lost, 399.700-412.300p-399.700, in a tri-meet that included fellow Big Ten school Nebraska.

The Illini will need some more strong performances from their upperclassmen, such as junior Ashton Anaya, senior Hamish Carter and graduate student David Pochinka, who earned individual event titles during their last meet at Huff Hall.

The Illini’s meet against the Sooners is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and will be broadcasted on B1G+.

After this meet, the Illini will be competing in the two-day Winter Cup event that starts on Feb. 25.

@ArtofRenato