Illinois track & field wraps up indoor regular season with strong performances at home facilities

Distance+runner+Logan+Hall+gets+ready+for+his+event+during+the+Illini+Classic+meet+on+Friday.+This+will+be+the+Illinis+last+indoor+meet+for+the+season+and+will+be+heading+to+Ohio+for+the+Big+Ten+Championships+this+weekend.+

James Hoeck

Distance runner Logan Hall gets ready for his event during the Illini Classic meet on Friday. This will be the Illini’s last indoor meet for the season and will be heading to Ohio for the Big Ten Championships this weekend.

By Ben Fader, Staff Writer

On Friday, the Illini wrapped up their 2022 indoor regular season at the Armory with an inspiring performance.

With Bradley, Butler, Illinois State and the University of Illinois at Chicago visiting on Friday, the Illini took 15 event titles and set 13 personal records in an all-around effort beginning with the field events and closing with the running events.

Final results from the meet can be found here.

Senior Bret Dannis took home the 60m hurdles event title for the fourth time this indoor season and won the 60m dash preliminaries as well. This was yet another strong performance for Dannis, and he is racing well heading into the postseason.

“It feels good to end the regular season with another win,” Dannis said. “I feel like I’m in a good place going into Big Ten Championships.”

The biggest thing that helped Dannis improve week after week was “coming to practice every day and treating it like it’s a meet.”

With the conference championship races up next, Dannis is ready to show off his season-long work.

“I’ve been working all season to contend for a Big Ten Championship, and now it’s time to leave it all on the track,” Dannis said.

The Illini freshman had a big day, starting with Dacorey Ware taking the 60m in the final round with a time of 6.87, helping the Illini men match the women, with both teams placing the top two runners in the 60m dash.

Freshman Amalia Malecek was able to clinch her second mile title of the season, and senior Will Giblin finished with a personal record 3000m performance of 8:29 and another event title for the team.              

Senior Nya Carr took home another event title in possibly her last race at the Armory with a jump of 5.67 in the women’s long jump in the field events.

The total 15 event titles for the Illini were won by:

Women’s pole vault: Tori Thomas

Men’s high jump: CJ Shoaf

Women’s long jump: Nya Carr

Men’s shot put: Will Rezny

Men’s weight throw: Brian Keyes

Men’s mile: Edwin Siuda

Women’s mile: Amalia Malecek

Men’s 60m: Dacorey Ware

Women’s 60: Nicole Nguyen

Men’s 60m hurdles: Bret Dannis

Women’s 60m hurdles: Kionnah Weaver

Men’s 400m: Jaden Jackson

Women’s 400m: Danni Stoughton

Men’s 600m: Grant Jensen

Men’s 3000m: Will Giblin

Next up, the Illini will travel to Geneva, Ohio, on Feb. 25 and 26 for the Big Ten Championships. The meet is held at the Spire Institute, and athletes will get the chance to compete for a Big Ten title and the opportunity to advance to the NCAA Championships in three weeks.

@BenFader7