Illinois women’s basketball travels to Minnesota for last away game of season

Sydney Laput

Guard, Aaliyah Nye, makes a play during the game against Northwestern on Sunday. The Illini were not able to secure the win against Northwestern losing 59-82.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois (6-17, 1-11) have one more chance to secure its first road win of the season against Minnesota (12-16, 5-11). 

The Illini are coming off a loss against in-state foe the Wildcats in a 82-59 matchup. Illinois were led by sophomore guard Aaliyah Nye and sophomore forward Erika Porter but still struggled with a lot of turnovers. Northwestern, also plagued with turnovers, were able to hold its ground and pull off a win. 

Minnesota comes into the matchup with a two-game losing streak falling to Rutgers and Nebraska. 

The Gophers are led by Sara Scalia, who averages 17.3 points per game and .904 on her free throws. Scalia, the point producer of the team also leads in 3-pointers averaging 3.1 per game. 

Deja Winters joins Scalia in double figures, averaging 11.9 points per game. Kadi Sissoko leads the team in rebounds with 5.1 per game. 

Looking at the table for the Big Ten, Illinois have dropped down into last place. Rutgers secured its second straight win over Penn State to get out of their slump. 

Both will face off for the last game of the regular season for the fight for placing in the Big Ten and seeds in the Big Ten tournament that will start next week. 

Illinois just have two more games to turn themselves around and get some late momentum heading into the postseason. 

Tipoff will begin at 7 p.m. and can be streamed on B1G+.

@AngelleCortes