No. 20 Illinois women’s gymnastics returns to Huff Hall for dual meet against No. 24 Rutgers

Gymnast+Mia+Takekawa+executes+her+routine+for+floor+exercise+during+the+match+against+Minnesota+on+Feb.+6.+The+Illini+will+be+going+against+Rutgers+in+a+dual+meet+this+Friday.+

Sydney Laput

Gymnast Mia Takekawa executes her routine for floor exercise during the match against Minnesota on Feb. 6. The Illini will be going against Rutgers in a dual meet this Friday.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

The No. 20 Illini women’s gymnastics team will be returning to Huff Hall for their second home meet of the season on Friday.

The meet is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. as Illinois takes on No. 24 Rutgers. 

The women’s squad is coming off a stretch of losses and will be fighting for their first win since Jan. 29 when they defeated Penn State 196.350-195.475.

This next matchup against Big Ten opponent Rutgers will be a crucial time for the Illini to get their season back on track. 

The Illini currently have a record of 2-3, and they’re looking to have a few more strong team performances before the Big Ten Championships take place on Saturday, March 19.

All-around junior Mia Takekawa shared that she’ll be focusing on the small details during her events for the next few weeks in order to help her back into the swing of competitions. 

“I think I’ve been having good performances on each event, but there is always one landing or one wobble that has been holding me back from getting great scores,” Takekawa said. “I’ll gain some more confidence going into the next competitions just by focusing on those details.”

The Sacramento native has consistently contributed strong performances for the Illini throughout the season including tying a high score of 9.875 on the bars during their last head-to-head matchup against Michigan State on Feb. 13 where the Illini scored their season high.

This next matchup against Rutgers will be the first of three straight home meets for the Illini. 

Following this meet, the women’s squad will be hosting a dual meet on March 4, which will showcase the Illini facing off against Central Michigan, Boise State and Northern Illinois. 

@ArtofRenato