Illinois women’s basketball to play Rutgers in final game of regular season

Guard%2C+Sara+Anastasieska%2C+drives+through+the+court+during+the+game+against+Florida+State+on+Dec.+2.+Anastasiek+will+be+honored+alongside+senior+teammates%2C+Eva+Rubin+and+Geovanna+Lopes+during+the+upcoming+home+game+against+Rutgers.+

James Hoeck

Guard, Sara Anastasieska, drives through the court during the game against Florida State on Dec. 2. Anastasiek will be honored alongside senior teammates, Eva Rubin and Geovanna Lopes during the upcoming home game against Rutgers.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois (6-18, 1-12) will take on Rutgers (9-19, 2-14) in its last game of the season on Sunday at State Farm Center. 

The Illini will honor three seniors after the game, Eva Rubin, Geovana Lopes and Sara Anastasieska. 

In Illinois’ last game, the team fell to Minnesota 87-54 at Williams Arena. The trio of Adalia McKenzie, Aaliyah Nye and Jada Peebles scored a combined 40 points. 

McKenzie and Nye were the top scorers for the team tallying 14 points each. Peebles followed close behind with 12. Plus, Kendall Bostic continued her run of being the top rebounder of the team getting nine against the Gophers, just short of double figures. 

The Gophers saw all five of their starters score double digits with Gadiva Hubbard leading the way with 22 points. 

For Rutgers, their last opponent was No. 21/22 Iowa. The Scarlet Knights lost 87-78 and were just within single digits of a tie. 

The last time Rutgers were within a single digit margin of ranked teams was both games against Ohio State (Jan. 23 and Feb. 7). 

Osh Brown’s graduate year at Rutgers, a transfer from Ball State, finds herself as the leader of the team.  

Brown is the leading scorer of the team with 10.5 points per game and also leads in rebounds with 9.1 per game. 

Another transfer from Bradley, Lasha Petree sits right behind Brown with 8.7 points per game. Petree is also the three-point production player as she has tallied 37 from the arc. 

The Illini have one final push to break their losing streak and get some momentum heading into the Big Ten Tournament. 

@AngelleCortes