Alfonso Plummer earns Third-Team All-Big Ten honors in lone season with Illinois

Cameron Krasucki

Graduate student guard Alfonso Plummer attempts a shot during Illinois’ 74-72 win over Iowa on Sunday at State Farm Center. Plummer earned Third-Team All-Big Ten honors, the conference announced on Tuesday.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Graduate student guard Alfonso Plummer was named to the All-Big Ten third-team, the league announced on Tuesday.

Plummer was the lone transfer to earn all-conference honors and was pivotal in the Illini’s Big Ten regular-season championship, scoring at least 20 points in 10 games this season.

He has become one of the Big Ten’s best 3-point shooters since arriving in Champaign from Utah this season. Plummer is averaging 15.1 points, the second-highest mark on the team, while he has recorded a team-best 91 triples this season.

That total also ranks first in the conference, while his 3-point percentage of 41.7% ranks second, behind only Minnesota’s Payton Willis, among eligible players.

Despite only playing one season at Illinois, Plummer has already etched his name into the record books, tying the program record for 3-pointers made in a single game after he registered eight triples against Ohio State on Feb. 24.

Known for not needing much space to get a shot off, the Puerto Rico native currently sits fourth in program history for 3-pointers made in a season, though he needs five more to move into third and eight more to jump into second. 

Plummer and the Illini will play either No. 8 Michigan or No. 9 Indiana on Friday in the Big Ten tournament.

@JacksonJanes3