Trent Frazier receives Second-Team All-Big Ten, All-Defensive Team accolades

Cameron Krasucki

Fifth-year senior Trent Frazier dribbles with the ball during Illinois’ 74-72 win over Iowa on Sunday at State Farm Center. Frazier was named Seecond-Team All-Big Ten and to the conference’s All-Defensive Team.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Fifth-year senior guard Trent Frazier has been named to the All-Big Ten second-team and to the conference’s All-Defensive Team, the Big Ten announced on Tuesday. 

Frazier also made the All-Defensive Team last season, while this is the first time he has made the conference’s second team.

After opting to return for a fifth season, Frazier has been an integral part of this Illini team on both ends of the court. He is averaging 12.1 points, which ranks third on the team, and a career-high 4.0 assists, and he currently sits fifth on the program’s all-time scoring list with 1,773 points.

The Florida native has embraced the “closer” role this season, hitting late threes in consecutive road games against Michigan and Michigan State to guide Illinois to victory. He also recorded a season-high 29 points, just three shy of his career-high of 32, against Nebraska on Jan. 11.

Defensively, Frazier is often tasked with guarding opponents’ top scorers, with some notable performances including holding Big Ten Player of the Year and Wisconsin sophomore guard Johnny Davis to 5-19 shooting from the field and 1-5 from the 3-point line and containing Big Ten All-Freshman Team inclusion and Michigan State guard Max Christie to 1-8 shooting and just two points on Jan. 25.

In his five years in Champaign, Frazier has led the Illini to a Big Ten regular-season championship, a Big Ten tournament title and a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Top-seeded and reigning champion Illinois takes on either No. 8 Michigan or No. 9 Indiana in the Big Ten tournament on Friday in Indianapolis.

@JacksonJanes3