Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk enters the transfer portal after two full seasons with Illinois men’s basketball

Redshirt+sophomore+forward+Benjamin+Bosmans-Verdonk+attempts+a+lay-up+during+the+game+against+Michigan+State+on+Jan.+25.+Bosmans-Verdonk+has+entered+the+transfer+portal+and+is+the+fourth+Illini+to+enter.+

Ryan Ash

Redshirt sophomore forward Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk attempts a lay-up during the game against Michigan State on Jan. 25. Bosmans-Verdonk has entered the transfer portal and is the fourth Illini to enter.

By Drew Friberg, Sports Editor

Redshirt sophomore forward Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk entered the transfer portal Wednesday morning, per Verbal Commits on Twitter.

The 6-foot-8-inch Belgian averaged 1.6 points and 2.1 rebounds in 24 games and two starts this season, improving on his redshirt freshman season where he played in just eight games while recovering from his redshirt season foot injury.

Bosmans-Verdonk is the fourth Illini to enter the portal this offseason, joining former teammates sophomore guard Andre Curbelo, junior forward Omar Payne and freshman guard Brandin Podziemski. The redshirt sophomore is also the 10th player from last season’s regular season Big Ten co-champion roster to leave. Fifth-year senior guards Da’Monte Williams and Trent Frazier are out of eligibility, while junior center Kofi Cockburn, graduate student guard Alfonso Plummer, graduate student forward Jacob Grandison and graduate student guard Austin Hutcherson have all declared for the draft.

While it was clear that this offseason would produce change, 10 players leaving a Big Ten co-champion roster is unprecedented, especially when Bosmans-Verdonk was expected to have a greater role following Cockburn’s departure for the draft.

Bosmans-Verdonk’s departure also gives head coach Brad Underwood an extra scholarship for recruiting, allowing for four scholarships now.

Come May, Illinois has just nine players on scholarship with the team, including four freshman recruits. Only redshirt transfer forward Dain Dainja, sophomore Coleman Hawkins and sophomore center Brandon Lieb currently operate as bigs, meaning there are still many pieces to be added to this Illinois roster before October.

The Belgian has three years of eligibility remaining.

@DrewFriberg9