Illinois men’s basketball lands Texas Tech transfer guard Terrence Shannon Jr.

Junior+guard+Terrence+Shannon+Jr.+dribbles+during+practice+for+the+Texas+Tech+University+team.+It+has+been+announced+that+Shannon+has+been+transferred+to+the+Illinois+mens+basketball+team+on+Thursday.+

Photo courtesy of @sn1per__t instagram

Junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. dribbles during practice for the Texas Tech University team. It has been announced that Shannon has been transferred to the Illinois men’s basketball team on Thursday.

By Jackson Janes, Staff Writer

Former Texas Tech junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. will transfer to Illinois, he announced in a social media post on April 29. He initially entered the transfer portal on March 25.

https://twitter.com/Sn1per_T/status/1520117007814901760

A Chicago native and four-star recruit out of high school, Shannon was a high-priority recruit for Brad Underwood and the Illini. Shannon made an official visit to Illinois in September 2018 and included the Illini in his final six schools, though he ultimately committed to the Red Raiders in March 2019.

As a junior last season, Shannon averaged 10.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.0 assists across 26 games played. Though he missed about one month due to a back injury, Shannon made 20 starts and played a big role in the Red Raiders’ third-place finish in the Big 12 and second-place finish in their conference tournament.

In the NCAA Tournament, Shannon finished with a game-high 20 points in Texas Tech’s first-round win over Montana State. After scoring three points in the Red Raiders’ second-round victory over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Shannon registered eight points in his team’s Sweet 16 loss to Duke.

Across the three seasons he spent in Lubbock, Texas, Shannon averaged 11.0 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.0 steals. He also picked up several accolades, including All-Big 12 Third-Team honors in 2021 and Preseason All-Big 12 honors ahead of the 2021–2022 season, and he was named to the Big 12 Championship All-Tournament team.

Shannon, listed at six feet six inches and 215 pounds, provides a size upgrade at the guard position, and he provides much-needed experience following the departures of all three starting guards, sophomore Andre Curbelo and freshman Brandin Podziemski off the bench.

@JacksonJanes3