Former Illini Doug Kramer picked in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft by Chicago Bears

Senior+offensive+lineman+Doug+Kramer+huddles+with+the+team+during+the+game+against+Rutgers+on+Oct.+30.+

Cameron Krasucki

Senior offensive lineman Doug Kramer huddles with the team during the game against Rutgers on Oct. 30.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

The Chicago Bears have picked former Illinois offensive lineman Doug Kramer in the sixth round of the NFL draft

The Hinsdale Central product arrived at Illinois and redshirted his freshman season and came ready for the 2017 season. Kramer played and starred in eight games but missed four games due to an injury. Regardless, he earned a BTN.com All-Freshman team honorable mention.

In the 2018 season, Kramer started all 12 games at center and helped improve the Illinois run game tremendously.

The following season he was voted team captain, starting all 12 regular-season games at center. He helped lead the Illini to the Redbox Bowl but was unable to play due to an injury. He earned All-Big Ten honorable mentions and was ranked as one of the best centers in the nation by Pro Football Focus.

In the 2020 season, Kramer started five games at center, earning another All-Big Ten honorable mention. 

In his final season, he started in 11 games for Illinois, earning All-Big Ten second-team honors. He also was recognized as a Campbell Trophy semifinalist. He was a top center prospect heading into the draft according to Pro Football Focus and other analysts such as Mel Kiper.

Kramer will continue his football career in the state of Illinois, joining a rebuilding Chicago Bears team.

@JonathanAlday7