Illinois men’s tennis appoints Harry Jadun as new associate head coach, says goodbye to associate coach Marcos Asse

Former+Michigan+State+assistant+coach+Harry+Jadun+takes+a+moment+to+have+a+dialogue+with+an+athlete+he+coaches.+Illinois+men%E2%80%99s+tennis+announced+on+Wednesday+that+Jadun+will+be+joining+the+Illinois+men%E2%80%99s+tennis+team+as+the+new+assistant+coach+after+the+departure+of+former+men%E2%80%99s+tennis+associate+head+coach++Marcos+Asse.+

Photo courtesy of @HarryJadun Twitter

Former Michigan State assistant coach Harry Jadun takes a moment to have a dialogue with an athlete he coaches. Illinois men’s tennis announced on Wednesday that Jadun will be joining the Illinois men’s tennis team as the new assistant coach after the departure of former men’s tennis associate head coach Marcos Asse.

By Drew Friberg, Sports Editor

Following Monday’s announcement of the departure of associate head coach Marcos Asse, the Illinois men’s tennis program announced today on Twitter its acquisition of former Michigan State assistant coach Harry Jadun.

Asse is stepping down from his role with the Illini after 13 years with the program. In this time, the Illini made 12 NCAA appearances, making the quarterfinals and making six Sweet 16 appearances since his first year with the program. In addition, Asse earned the ITA Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year in 2015, following the team’s second Big Ten Championship during Asse’s tenure. The other Big Ten titles were won in 2012 and most recently in 2021.

Asse’s legacy with the Illini goes even further. He has also had direct oversight over nine All-Americans. In just his second year as Associate Coach, Asse helped coach a school record of four All-Americans in one year.

His departure comes as a surprise to many fans of the program, but his love for the Illini will stick with him past just these 13 years. However, for family and professional reasons, Asse has decided now is the time to take a step back.

“I came to Illinois to make an impact on the program, but little did I know, it would impact me much more. I have fallen in love with Illini tennis and the Champaign community,” Asse told Illini Athletics. “My decision to step back is for two reasons: to focus more on my family and explore other professional opportunities outside of tennis.”

Asse’s replacement, Jadun, joins the Illini after a decorated playing career at Michigan State and a four-year stint as assistant coach for the Spartans. 

“I am extremely excited to join the Illinois men’s tennis coaching staff,” Jadun told Illini Athletics. “A huge thanks to (head coach) Brad Dancer and Josh Whitman for giving me this opportunity. Having played and coached in the Big Ten, I am familiar with the rich history of Illini men’s tennis and appreciate the standard of excellence for this program.”

Jadun’s playing career at Michigan State is what originally put him on the map. He featured in the program’s first ever All-American doubles pairing, making it to the semifinals in the 2015 NCAA Championships. 

After his collegiate career, Jadun worked as a volunteer coach at Michigan State, before traveling alongside multiple Associated Tennis Professionals. In addition, Jadun shadowed well-revered ATP coach Brad Stine before returning to Michigan State as a full-time assistant coach.

Following a 2021–2022 season that saw the Illini fall off from their Big Ten Championship in 2021 and Sweet Sixteen appearance, Jadun’s youth and coaching ability is crucial in returning Illinois men’s tennis to its former glory.

@DrewFriberg9