Illinois men’s basketball land elite French forward Zacharie Perrin

Forward+Zacharie+Perrin+dribbles+the+ball+during+a+game+for+International+Basketball+Federation.+Perrin+has+committed+to+the+Illinois+mens+basketball+team+on+Monday.+

Photo courtesy of @zperr1 Instagram

Forward Zacharie Perrin dribbles the ball during a game for International Basketball Federation. Perrin has committed to the Illinois men’s basketball team on Monday.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

French forward Zacharie Perrin committed to Illinois on Monday, adding to the team’s frontcourt depth. One of the top international prospects, Perrin’s commitment comes with exciting implications for the growing allure of playing for the Illini program.

“Coach Underwood and Coach Alexander came up with a very detailed plan for how to take my skillset and body to the next level,” Perrin told ESPN’s Jonathan Givony. “They analyzed my film, figured out my strengths and weaknesses, and laid out a plan that made a lot of sense. They are a winning program, coming off back-to-back Big Ten championships. They are also a team that needed a rotation big, so there is a chance I can help them right away.”

With Perrin also explaining to Givony how “the facilities, staff and the overall level of the Big Ten made it difficult to pass up Illinois,” it only goes to show just how far Illinois basketball has come in the Underwood era. The recent success and resources the program has been able to offer are paying off in the commitments of top recruits like Perrin.

Back in April, the young power forward was named MVP of the Adidas Next Generation qualifying tournament in Greece, averaging 17.7 points and 10.7 rebounds. In May, Perrin participated in the Euroleague Final Four for the Next Generation All-Star Team in Serbia, averaging 10 points and 5.8 rebounds. This past season, Perrin played for the Antibes Sharks in the French Espoirs Pro B League. He earned MVP honors, averaging 21.5 points and 10.9 rebounds.

Perrin has been recruited by numerous schools across the country. While the 17-year-old ultimately chose to take his talents to Champaign, he also received offers from the likes of UCLA, Texas, Florida, Memphis and BYU.

Being only 17-years-old, Perrin will strengthen not only the depth at the power forward position but also the program’s future as a whole. There is plenty of time for the French forward to develop during his time in Champaign.

Only time will tell just how much play time Perrin will see in the 2022–23 season. With forward options such as fifth-year Matthew Mayer, junior Coleman Hawkins, redshirt sophomore Dain Dainja and freshman Ty Rodgers, Perrin could see limited play time in his first year. While he’ll still likely get minutes in the upcoming campaign, the French prospect could be more of a long-term piece to the Illini puzzle.

The late June addition of Perrin will likely be the final addition to the Illinois roster this summer.

@james_kim15