Illinois women’s tennis finishes weekend with .500 record at Alabama’s Five-In-The-Fall event

Associate+head+coach+German+Dalmargo+speaks+with+doubles+partners+senior+Emily+Casati+%28middle%29+and+sophomore+Lasia+Treiber+during+their+match+against+Rutgers+on+March+27.+

Sidney Malone

Associate head coach German Dalmargo speaks with doubles partners senior Emily Casati (middle) and sophomore Lasia Treiber during their match against Rutgers on March 27.

By Conor Blount, Staff Writer

This weekend, senior Emily Casati along with sophomores Kasia Treiber and Kida Ferrari traveled to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to compete against opponents from Alabama, Florida State, UAB and South Alabama. Illinois was able to test out all possible doubles combinations of their three athletes, with each getting a shot at playing with each teammate. Illinois combined for a total of five singles wins and one doubles win at the event.

The first day of competition saw two singles wins for the Illini after a dominant performance from Treiber and a hard-fought tiebreaker victory from Ferrari. In Illinois’ only doubles match of the day, Casati and Treiber pulled out a 6-4 victory against a duo from Florida State.

The next day started off strong, as Treiber and Ferrari picked up two more hard-fought singles wins in the morning. The afternoon doubles matches did not go as well for Illinois as Casati/Ferrari and Treiber/Ferrari lost matches against South Alabama and Alabama respectively.

Looking to finish strong during the final day of competition, Illinois only came away with one singles win from Treiber. Casati and Ferrari fell to opponents from South Alabama and Florida State respectively.

Illinois won six of the 12 matches they competed in, with a record of 5-4 in singles matches and 1-2 in doubles matches. Treiber showed out for the Illini, winning all three of her singles matches and going 1-1 in doubles play.

While this competition may have not been as successful as Illinois’ two previous weekends, it is hard to call these results disappointing when the fall season is all about gaining experience. Three more singles matches and two more doubles matches under Casati, Treiber and Ferrari’s belt are always positive, regardless of results.

Illinois women’s tennis will be looking to return to their early season dominance this Saturday in Nashville, Tenn., at the June Stewart Invitational.

@blountco21