Illinois men’s tennis gets back into a groove at Drobac/Beeman Invite

Sidney Malone

Junior Lucas Horve goes to hit the ball during his doubles match against Duke with partner junior Hunter Heck on Feb. 19.

By Martin O'Connor, Staff Writer

This past weekend saw Illinois men’s tennis walk away with nine wins from the Drobac/Beeman Invite held at Michigan State. 

The first day began with wins from sophomore Mathis Debru and freshman Kenta Miyoshi. Freshman Tyler Bowers had the last singles win of the day with junior Lucas Horve losing his match. For doubles play, Debru and Miyoshi finished with two wins, while Bowers and Horve finished 1-1. This concluded the day one action.

The success in East Lansing, Mich. carried over into the second day for the Illini. The day started strong for Debru as he won his first singles match, but it took a turn after he lost his second match. That theme continued with both Miyoshi and Horve, as they both won their first matches but lost their second matches. 

This was the first competition for Horve this season and it proved to be a successful first competition.

“These matches were exactly what I needed to get back in the physical and mental shape I need to be in,” Horve said.

The only other results from day two were Bowers’ two singles match losses.

The invite concluded on day three, but not before more Illini matches took place. Debru earned his third win at the invite which turned out to be the team’s only win on day three. After Debru’s win, Horve, Miyoshi and Bowers all lost their singles matches. For doubles matches it fared the same way, with both Bowers and Horve losing their doubles match, as well as Miyoshi and Debru losing theirs. 

This tournament is another early-season achievement that proves to shine the light on a bright future. The team is playing well and can achieve great success once they all are playing consistently again.

The Illini play in the Dayton Invite next from Oct. 14-16.