Illinois women’s tennis travels to Nashville, Tenn. with hope of continuing early season dominance

Sophomore+Kasia+Treiber+eyes+the+ball+during+her+singles+match+against+Rutgers+on+March+27.+

Sidney Malone

Sophomore Kasia Treiber eyes the ball during her singles match against Rutgers on March 27.

By Conor Blount, Staff Writer

Last weekend was an unusual one for Illinois women’s tennis as the team split up, sending one group to Alabama and another to North Carolina. Despite the irregularities, the Illini saw great success. Sophomore Kasia Treiber won her singles draw at Alabama’s Five-In-The-Fall event, while senior Ashley Yeah and junior Kate Duong made impressive runs at the ITA All-American Championships.

This weekend, the Illini will reunite and travel to Nashville, Tenn., to compete in Vanderbilt’s June Stewart Invitational. On top of the Commodores, Illinois will face opponents from Purdue, Missouri and Middle Tennessee. Head coach Evan Clark stated on Wednesday that situation permitting, the five members they bring to Nashville will be seniors Emily Casati and Josie Frazier along with sophomores Kida Ferrari, Megan Heuser, and Kasia Treiber.

Due to the ITA All-American Championships keeping Yeah and Duong away from home until late Tuesday night, they will be given the weekend off and not play at the June Stewart Invitational. For the second week in a row, injury will prevent freshman Violetta Martinez from participating.

With two of his top players getting some much-deserved rest, Clark is excited for the matches the rest of the squad will play against tougher competition.

“It’ll be a great opportunity for those five, with a couple of top players out, to go in, play higher, and get some really good looks,” Clark said. “It’s another weekend where we’ll get a lot of matches under our belt. We always talk about how, win or lose, these experiences will pay off in the spring.”

It is evident that the Illini are committed to getting as much experience as possible during the fall season, as they are currently facing their fourth weekend of competition in a row. Treiber shares Clark’s belief that each and every match provides valuable experience and is excited at the prospect of playing up.

“I think playing tougher opponents makes me a better player,” Treiber said. “I’m sure the rest of my teammates feel the same way. When we are put against tougher competition it brings out the best in us. It’s a good thing that we are getting put in situations like this.”

Illinois women’s tennis will compete at Vanderbilt’s June Stewart Invitational this Friday through Sunday, looking to earn another successful weekend.

@blountco21