‘We’re taking a step in the right direction’: Illinois looks to continue win streak, establish themselves as Big Ten West frontrunners

Junior+quaterback+Artur+Sitkowski+looks+to+pass+the+ball+during+the+game+against+Iowa+on+Oct.+8.+

Sydney Laput

Junior quaterback Artur Sitkowski looks to pass the ball during the game against Iowa on Oct. 8.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

No. 24 Illinois (5-1, 2-1) will host their Big Ten West rival Minnesota Gophers (4-1, 1-1) for the 112th Homecoming celebration at 11 a.m., on Saturday. Illinois is currently on a four-game win streak, with statement wins against Wisconsin and a gritty battle against Iowa.

With the recent ranking — their first since 2011 — expectations for the team have increased, especially as media exposure and fans begin to have their eye on the team.

“Obviously we’re taking a step in the right direction,” head coach Bret Bielema said. “I knew this was coming. Sometimes reality is the best educator. They’re hungry. They’re excited. This is going to be a big game on Saturday because we’ve made it a big game. It’s a product of what they’ve built and what they’ve tried to accomplish, but it’s definitely not our ending point. Hopefully it’s just a catalyst in our future.”

However, Minnesota will pose a challenge for Illinois. The Golden Gophers are one of the most balanced teams in the Big Ten West and are a major contender to win the division.

Minnesota holds the 14th-best offense in the nation, guided behind running back Mohamed Ibrahim, one of the best backs in the country. The Gophers also hold the No. 1 defense in the country, holding opposing offenses to an average of 81.4 rushing yards per game and 140.6 passing yards per game.

Although Illinois traveled to Minnesota last year, taking down the then No. 20 ranked team 14-6 as the Illinois defense shut down Minnesota quarterback Tanner Morgan. That game, however, did not have Ibrahim, who was out with an injury sustained during their 2021 season opener.

“It will be a challenge. This is our first rematch game where we won a year ago,” defensive coordinator Ryan Walters said. “We’ll get their best effort. I’m sure they’ll have tweaks and wrinkles for what we did a year ago in this game.”

“The running back … is a tough, physical runner with a low center of gravity, a wide frame, strong, powerful legs, tough to bring down. It’s going to be a whole defensive effort when trying to contain him.”

Another worry heading into Saturday, is the starting quarterback position. Fifth-year senior quarterback Tommy DeVito went down with an ankle injury late in the first quarter, paving the way for junior Art Sitkowski to set into the game. There has been no clear indication of who will start.

“It’s part of football. I felt comfortable in the way Art prepares and carries himself of us continuing to play within our game plan,” offensive coordinator Barry Lunney Jr. said.

During Thursday media availability, Bielema strayed away from ruling him out completely. He also added that DeVito has practiced in drills and activities that require little to no motion.

“Tommy, (I) don’t know. That’s going to have to be something, we don’t want to make sure we make a decision on the front end here that can affect something long term,” Bielema said. “Winning helps everything go better. I want to ride this wave as long and as high as we possibly can because it will definitely help us in the future.”

@JonathanAlday7