‘Our guys are locked into the moment’: DeVito, defense and Brown brothers carry Illinois out of early adversity in win, first winning season since 2011

Members of the Illinois football team tackle their Nebraskan opponents during their game Aug. 28, 2021.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

No. 17 Illinois traveled to Lincoln, Nebraska, overcoming adversity to notch another win and take the Nebraska Cornhuskers out of the Big Ten Championship race. Despite early errors for Illinois, they rallied towards the end of the second quarter and dominated throughout the second half. 

This game marked milestones for both teams as Nebraska hosted their 387th straight sold-out crowd. Meanwhile, Illinois senior offensive lineman Alex Palczewski suited up for his 60th career start, breaking the Big Ten record.

After quickly crossing midfield to start the game, senior quarterback Tommy DeVito hit sophomore wideout Isaiah Williams for 46-yards, putting up six points in less than 4 minutes. 

The typically stout Illinois defense let up some early plays to Nebraska running back Anthony Grant, which placed Nebraska at the Illinois 31-yard line. However, a miscommunication between Nebraska quarterback Casey Thompson and his intended receiver led to an interception by senior defensive back Quan Martin.

The Illinois offense became marred with questionable decisions despite the seemingly productive start heading into the second quarter. On third and seven on the Nebraska 22-yard line, Illinois attempted a double pass trick play which got blown up by the Nebraska defense, tackling Williams for a loss of 12-yards.

Junior kicker Caleb Griffin jogged onto the field for the first time since early October for a long field goal, which Griffin put through the uprights. The field goal would not count as Illinois called a timeout before the snap as the play clock was getting dangerously close to zero. On the second attempt, a false start pushed Illinois out of field goal range.

Although redshirt freshman Hugh Robertson placed his punt within the 10-yard line, Thompson hit two deep passes, with the second going 56 yards for a touchdown. 

The Illinois offensive struggles continued, punting four consecutive drives away with under seven minutes left in the first half.

After missing an earlier tackle on Nebraska’s last touchdown, senior defensive back Sydney Brown had an errant pass by Thompson fall right into his hands, returning it to the Nebraska 11-yard line. Twin brother and junior running back Chase Brown would punch it in two plays later, with the Illini offensive line pushing through the Cornhusker defense.

The Illini would receive the ball after a Cornhusker punt, rushing down the Husker defense’s throat to get in the red zone with about a minute left in the second quarter. DeVito would pass to senior tight end Luke Ford for a touchdown, but the play was called back after a block in the back penalty on sophomore tight end Tip Rieman. Despite the possibly catastrophic error, DeVito threw a pass to a wide-open Chase Brown for the touchdown, putting Illinois up 11 points going into the half.

On Illinois’ first offensive drive of the half, Williams coughed up the ball while attempting to switch hands, giving Nebraska the ball at the Illinois 23-yard line. The mistake would render moot as Sydney Brown snatched his second pick of the day.

Illinois continued to play their brand of football, going 13 plays in 7:27, but settling for three points after a massive third-down stop by Nebraska.

Illinois would receive the ball back deep in Nebraska territory after a forced fumble by Martin. The Illini would tack on another field goal after a crucial Cornhusker stop and questionable playcalling by the Illini.

Illinois would drain out the remainder of the clock, winning their sixth straight game 26-9.

DeVito finished the game 20-for-22 with 179 yards and two touchdowns and is on track to break the Illinois single-season completion record. Chase Brown recorded his ninth straight 100-yard game, going 143 yards on 32 attempts with two touchdowns while his brother Sydney Brown recorded two picks. Chase Brown is the first Big Ten player to record over 100 rushing yards in the first eight games of the season since Ohio State’s Ezekiel Elliott in 2015.

Senior cornerback Devon Witherspoon kept Nebraska’s top receiver, Trey Palmer, silent, allowing only one completion for one-yard, over 100 yards below his season average. The Illini defense shut down Nebraska with the departure of Thompson to injury in the second half, allowing only eight first downs and two third downs on ten attempts.

“We knew they were going to get their best shot. We weathered the storm,” said head coach Bret Bielema. “We stuck to our guns and stayed to what we did.”

No. 17 Illinois (7-1, 4-1) returns home, continuing their first winning season since 2011, to face Michigan State (3-4, 1-3) on November 5th.

“I’ve been around championship teams and this team is on that level if not better,” Bielema said. “I think our guys are locked into the moment.”

@JonathanAlday7