Illinois women’s basketball ready to bounce back against Pitt

Sidney Malone

Guard Makira Cook prepares to make a play during a game against Alcorn on Nov. 13. The Illini will be facing off against Pitt tonight at Pittsburgh.

By Rachel Oh, Staff Writer

Illinois women’s basketball will play against the Pitt at Petersen Events Center in Pittsburgh on Wednesday at 4 p.m. 

Pitt, led by head coach Lance White, is 5-2, owning wins over Coppin State, George Mason, Bryant, Duquesne and Towson so far. Pitt also went 11-19 overall last season (2-16 ACC). 

Illinois head coach Shauna Green spoke in a quick interview this week, after Illinois suffered their first loss to Delaware this past Saturday, in preparation for tomorrow’s game. Despite the strong start, the loss to Delaware was fraught with issues she wants to fix before conference play.

“We just didn’t have that same intensity that we’ve had consistently throughout those games,” said Green in regards to the loss. “We didn’t shoot it well against Delaware. We missed a lot of layups — we missed a lot of shots we normally make, and that’s the frustrating part too.” 

However, Green stays optimistic with seeing this as a learning opportunity and to not let it hinder her and the team’s confidence going forward. With four of her players scoring over 10 points against Delaware, there is no reason to panic after just one loss.

“For us, every game is the same. I don’t care if we’re playing a Division III school or UConn. The prep is the same, the intensity is the same and the focus is the same,” Green said. 

Illinois women’s basketball will head into tomorrow’s game against Pitt hungry and ready to bring back a win. Action begins on the East Coast at 4 p.m.