Illinois baseball drops home game to Illinois State

Daniel Zhou

Sophomore infielder Ryan Moorman hits a ground ball in the bottom of the third inning.

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois (12-13) hosted their in-state rivals, the Illinois State Redbirds, in the first of two-midweek matches between the programs. These midweek matchups have become a staple for Illinois thus far, with today having been their fourth of the season. Illini entered the game at 1-2 in these games.

The Redbirds brought a struggling pitching staff and lineup to Champaign, looking to pull off the upset. Despite concerns over the weather, the first pitch was thrown on time, and the game was underway, with fans bringing their furry friends to the ballpark for “Bark in the Park.”

The Illini got off to a fast start, with senior right fielder Danny Doligale and junior designated hitter Drake Westcott both reaching via a walk and single, respectively. Senior catcher Jacob Schroeder followed it up with a three-run shot to dead centerfield, giving Illinois a 3-0 lead in the first.

Freshman righthander Jake Swartz started strong but was pulled after just one inning. Senior left-hander Ryan O’Hara relieved Swartz in the second. The Redbirds took advantage of the pitching change and immediately scored three runs to tie it up in the second inning.

O’Hara could not get out of the inning as junior righty Jack Crowder entered to try and stop the bleeding. Illinois State hit their second three-run homer of the inning to take a 6-3 lead. Westcott drove in a pair of runs on a bases-loaded single, but the Illini still trailed 6-5 after three innings.

The Redbirds added three more runs in the fourth inning to take a 9-5 lead. Senior left-hander Alex Vera relieved Crowder in the fifth. The Redbirds added another run, taking a 10-5 lead.

The Illini had multiple opportunities with the bases loaded in the fifth and sixth innings. Senior third baseman Brandon Comia came through, demolishing a ball to left field for a grand slam. The home run put the Illini back within a run.

The Redbirds were unphased, adding another run in the top of the eighth on a single, making it an 11-9 ballgame. Graduate student and righthander TJ Constertina took the mound to try and limit the damage.

The Redbirds added to their lead in the ninth inning with a home run, making it 12-9. The Illini threatened in the ninth inning, with two on and one out, but they could not do anything with it. Illinois fell to the Redbirds 12-9.

Head coach Dan Hartleb confirmed that Swartz being pulled after the first inning, was unrelated to health.

“We were going for a bullpen game,” Hartleb said.

The Illini will look to get back over .500 this weekend as they stay in-state. They will travel to Evanston and take on a struggling Northwestern Wildcats squad that only has three wins this season.

@arrosen76