Illinois baseball drops 2 of 3 in Evanston

Eric Chiang

The Illini huddle together during a game facing off Michigan on Apr. 1. Despite taking a lead against Northwestern on Easter Sunday, Northwestern took the lead from the Illini which ended in their victory.

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

The Illini traveled North towards Evanston to take on the Northwestern Wildcats in a battle for the best Illinois Big Ten baseball team. The three-game series featured an inconsistent Illini roster and the struggling Wildcats.

The Wildcats entered the series having won only three games thus far. Meanwhile, the Illini entered having lost 10 of their last 16 games. If Illinois wants to make any noise this year, they must start this weekend.

On the mound for the Illini was their usual Friday starter, junior righthander Riley Gowens. Gowens struggled a bit early, giving up the first run of the game before lighting up the box score.

Gowens was utterly dominant, going six innings while striking out 10. Twice in the game, he struck out the side.

The runs were provided by senior second baseman Brody Harding who drove in a pair to give Illinois a lead. A few innings later, junior designated hitter Drake Westcott drove in another run.

However, the Illini could not maintain their lead, as they faltered at the plate with opportunities to add some insurance runs. Northwestern did not let Illinois get away with it, embarrassing the Illini in walk-off fashion, winning 4-3 in game one.

The Illini needed to get revenge in game two in order to avoid an unremarkable three-game losing streak. On the mound was freshman righthander Jake Swartz, who delivered for the Illini.

Swartz pitched five and a third inning of one-run ball, only allowing six baserunners on the afternoon. The offense also came alive for the visitors, racking up seven runs across the nine frames of work. The Illini were led by senior first baseman Cam McDonald, who racked up three hits across five at-bats, as well as two runs batted in.

Northwestern looked primed to get back into the game in the ninth, with the bases loaded. However, the Illini escaped the jam and pulled out a 7-2 win, tying the series at one win apiece.

The rubber match between the Big Ten’s Illinois teams started at 1 p.m. on Easter Sunday. Junior righthander Jack Wenninger took the mound for the Illini after a stellar outing in his last start.

The Illini drew first blood in the pivotal third game, with senior right fielder Danny Doligale scoring on a first-inning RBI single by sophomore designated hitter Camden Janik. However, the lead did not last long at all. Northwestern hit a three-run shot in the bottom of the first to take a quick 3-1 lead.

The Illini came back in the fourth inning, powered by the bats of senior third baseman Branden Comia and senior second baseman Brody Harding. The Wildcats responded with a run in the fifth, taking a 4-3 lead in the game. Illinois once again tied things up in the seventh inning at 4-4.

Wenninger exited after 7.1 innings of work, giving up four runs. The Illini bullpen would have to keep them in it the rest of the way. However, Northwestern broke through once again with another three-run homer, giving them a 7-4 lead. The Illini were down to their final three outs, pinned against their backs.

The Illini fell to 13-15 overall, with a 3-6 conference record after losing their third straight series, not including the two losses in their last midweek matches. The Illini will get another shot at the Illinois State Redbirds in Bloomington, one that they desperately need to win, on Tuesday, Apr 11.

@arrosen76