Illinois men’s basketball lands Oregon transfer forward Quincy Guerrier

By James Kim, Sports Editor

Former Oregon senior forward Quincy Guerrier announced his commitment to Illinois on Monday via Twitter. The 2023-24 season will serve as Guerrier’s final year of college eligibility.

There’s no sugarcoating it: The addition of the talented 6-foot-8 forward is huge for the Illini, who have been looking to add another high-caliber forward to next season’s roster.

Guerrier spent the last two seasons with the Ducks and averaged 9.7 points and five rebounds in 70 games. The Montreal native will be arriving in Champaign boasting a skill set similar to that of junior forward Coleman Hawkins in terms of versatility on the court. Guerrier has the ability to operate as a serious threat inside the paint while also having the range to knock shots down from three. Last season, the forward shot 42.3% from the floor and 34.7% from beyond the arc.

Guerrier is no stranger to the Illini either. After taking an official visit to Champaign in 2018, the forward ended up choosing Syracuse to open his collegiate career. While with the Orange, he averaged 10.1 points and 6.8 rebounds during his first two seasons of college basketball. After entering the transfer portal at the end of his sophomore year, Guerrier once again considered Illinois, naming the Illini in his top four list before deciding on Oregon. Now, in 2023, the Montreal native will finally be bringing his talents to State Farm Center.

While there is still a lot of time before the start of the 2023-24 season, things are starting to fall into place for the Illini after the tumultuous conclusion of this past season. With Skyy Clark, Jayden Epps and RJ Melendez entering the transfer portal and Hawkins and senior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. entering their names into the NBA Draft, landing experienced players like Guerrier is huge for Illinois. The forward joins senior forward Marcus Domask and junior guard Justin Harmon on the list of veteran transfers coming to Champaign in 2023-24.

While there are still some questions marks in the squad, particularly at the point guard position, head coach Brad Underwood has been active in filling in big pieces of the puzzle with additions like Guerrier. There is still a long offseason ahead, and the recent transfers leave a lot for Illini fans to be excited about heading into next year.

@james_kim15