Illinois baseball loses late lead in rematch with Bradley

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois baseball braved through construction and cornfields as it traveled to Peoria in a rematch with Bradley on Tuesday. The first game was a 6-4 matinee won by the Illini in Champaign. Originally, this game was scheduled to be a home game for the Illini while the first game was initially an away game; however, the March weather forced the programs to swap locations.

This is also the beginning of a five-game road trip for Illinois after going 4-3 during its seven-game homestand. Freshman righthander Julius Sanchez started for the Illini as they looked for the season sweep over the Braves.

The game started fast for both lineups, as by the third inning it was already a 3-3 ballgame. Illinois scored a pair in the first and Bradley followed suit. Illinois then added another run in the second inning and once again, Bradley matched the result.

In the fourth inning, sophomore left fielder Christian Smith hit a leadoff double and advanced on a passed ball. Junior shortstop Cal Hejza drove in the run on a single, giving Illinois a 4-3 lead. A wild pitch brought Hejza across the plate as the Illini made it a 5-3 lead in the fourth.

That lead was tested as Sanchez’s day ended early, leaving with the bases loaded with nobody out in the bottom of the fourth. Senior lefthander Alex Vera was called upon to prevent a big inning which he did, only letting one run cross the plate as Illinois held a 5-4 lead.

The visitors added another run in the sixth inning, making it a 6-4 game, which was the same score of the first matchup between the teams. Bradley added another run in the bottom of the sixth as well. To that point, every time a run was scored, the opposition responded a half-inning later with a run of their own.

That changed when Bradley tied the game on a triple that created confusion in the outfield. Nobody could get a proper read on the ball, and Bradley made it a 6-6 game. The scoring did not end there for the Braves, as they immediately brought in the go-ahead run after the triple, taking a 7-6 lead, their first of the game.

That lead held strong for the ninth inning, as Illinois dropped its rematch with Bradley. The Braves battled all game and were able to make the Illini pay time and time again as they completed the comeback.

Illinois will stay on the road, heading to Columbus this upcoming weekend to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes in a three-game series.

@arrosen76