Seattle selects Devon Witherspoon with 5th pick in 2023 NFL draft

Conor Blount

Devon Witherspoon at the NFL Draft on Thursday. Seattle chose Witherspoon as their number five pick in the first round.

By Adam Rosen, Assistant Sports Editor

Former Illinois defensive back Devon Witherspoon was drafted in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks with the fifth overall pick in the draft.

Witherspoon was a stalwart of the Illini secondary ever since he arrived in Champaign back in 2019. But in 2022, the 22-year-old from Pensacola, Florida, exploded as arguably the best cornerback in the nation.

Witherspoon was named a consensus Associated Press All-American after racking up 17 pass defenses, three interceptions and 41 tackles in 12 starts for the 2022 Illini defense, which ended up as the best scoring defense in the entire nation. Also, he allowed a passer rating of 25.3 and did not give up a single touchdown as the primary defender last year.

Witherspoon was also named as the Big Ten’s best defensive back as an honor for his standout season.

The fact that Witherspoon was chosen as a top 10 pick in this year’s NFL draft is a testament to his incredible work ethic. Witherspoon had not started his football career until his junior year of high school, and despite being one of the best defensive players in his hometown, was rated as a zero-star recruit on almost every single top scouting website.

Witherspoon is the highest-drafted Illini since 1996 and will get the opportunity to become a day one starter alongside a young and talented Seahawks secondary.

@arrosen76