Illinois track & field looks to end season strong with trip to Jacksonville

By Said Nonoal, Staff Writer

Illinois’ track and field squad is getting ready to wrap up their season at the East Coast Relays this weekend at the University of North Florida at Hodges Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida.

At Jacksonville, sophomore Tyler Sudduth will be set to compete in the shot put and discus. Throwing coach JC Lambert explained post-meet last weekend that Sudduth must improve in the shot put.

Junior Olivia Howell will be competing in the 800-meter run along with the 1500-meter run.

Expect another big performance from freshman Olivia Campbell, who just set a school record in the hammer throw at the Gary Wineike Memorial meet in Champaign last weekend.

The East Coast Relays will go through Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Sunday, the meet will continue from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Illinois men’s track and field is currently ranked eighth in the regional rankings for the Midwest division behind the likes of Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota. The Illini are in reach to catch up to Iowa State Cyclones.

This meet will present some of the biggest competition for the Illini, as multiple professional teams will be competing as well as the likes of Virginia Tech, University of Central Florida as well as international competition.

Both the men’s  and women’s track and field squads will end their outdoor season in Jacksonville this weekend. The qualifying athletes will compete at the Big Ten championships in Bloomington, Indiana.