Illinois football displays historic showing in 2023 NFL draft

By Conor Blount and Adam Rosen

The 2023 NFL draft in Kansas City, Missouri has concluded with nine former Illini players heading to various cities across the nation to begin their professional football careers. This year’s draft featured the highest-drafted Illini since 1996, along with the highest number of total draftees since 2013’s total of four. 

Leading the pack for Illinois was former defensive back Devon Witherspoon, who was one of just 17 top prospects invited to the green room in Kansas City’s Union Station. But before Witherspoon joined his peers to wait for the special moment of selection, he was introduced on the red carpet sporting an eye-grabbing “Spoon Island” chain and pendant. 

Once settled in the green room, Witherspoon did not have to wait long before the unranked high school prospect received a call from Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll, and officially became the fifth overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft. 

Also present in Kansas City was Illinois head coach Bret Bielema, who got to witness Witherspoon become his highest-drafted player since 2007 when Joe Thomas was selected third overall. 

Following the selection, Witherspoon preached his excitement for the opportunity to play for a franchise with such a legendary history in the secondary. 

“I’m very excited to get to work with those guys and get to perform out on the field,” Witherspoon said. “Go out there and compete to be the best. I (want to) set the tone, have some swag and have some fun but be about our business.”

Presently, Witherspoon will be playing alongside another young, talented defensive back in Tariq Woolen and has the opportunity to hone his skills against a very talented receiving group.

“I am excited to compete with everybody, but I get the chance to go against DK Metcalf every day in practice, you don’t get better than that,” Witherspoon said. “If you want to be the best you have to go against the best.”

Although the spectacle of the first round concluded on Thursday night, Illinois’ inclusion in the event was far from over. 

A day later, two of Witherspoon’s fellow members of the Illinois secondary found themselves headed to professional locker rooms of their own. Former defensive backs Jartavius “Quan” Martin and Sydney Brown were selected by two NFC East rivals, the Washington Commanders and Philadelphia Eagles, respectively. 

Martin was the first of the two off the board, being selected 47th overall before Brown was taken early into the third round at 66th overall. 

Watching the draft from home, Martin’s draft party was attended by the likes of defensive coordinator Aaron Henry and former teammate Kerby Joseph while Brown was in his hometown of London, Ontario having a draft party of his own with family and friends. 

With those selections, the Illini have seen their entire secondary from 2019 make it to the NFL. Former players Nate Hobbs, Tony Adams and Kerby Joseph were all on active rosters last year, with Hobbs and Joseph being drafted in 2021 and 2022, respectively. Despite going undrafted in 2022, Adams signed with the New York Jets as a free agent and played in 11 games last season. 

Entering the final day of the draft, Illinois still had one glaring former player still on the board for some lucky organization. 

Rounding out the Illinois representation in Kansas City was Chase Brown, former running back and twin brother of Sydney Brown. The redshirt junior spent four seasons with the Illini after a freshman season at Western Michigan and was the heart of Illinois’ offense during the 2022 season. 

Finishing fourth in total rushing yards in the nation — with a total of 1,643 rushing yards — and bringing in 10 rushing touchdowns during his 2022 season caught the eye of the Cincinnati Bengals, who selected Chase Brown in the fifth round with the 163rd overall pick. 

There were some Illini who declared for the draft, but unfortunately ended up unselected and now sit as undrafted free agents. That group includes fifth-year quarterback Tommy DeVito, sixth-year lineman Alex Palczewski, fifth-year tight end Luke Ford, fifth-year linemen Calvin Avery and sixth-year lineman Jamal Woods. While missing out on the thrill of hearing their name called on the television, each of these young athletes will still have the opportunity to fulfill their dream of playing professionally by signing contracts in the offseason.