Senior guard Jada Peebles announces return for 5th year with Illinois

By Conor Blount, Assistant Sports Editor

After playing a key role in Illinois’ historic 2022-23 season, senior guard Jada Peebles is returning for another year in orange and blue. 

Significant changes were made after head coach Shauna Green was brought in as head coach of Illinois women’s basketball in March 2022. But once the dust was settled and Green had constructed her first roster as an Illini, senior guard Jada Peebles still remained. Known primarily as a shooter, Peebles was Illinois’ lone senior for the 2022-23 season on top of being its longest tenured player. 

While only starting in six games during the 2022-23 season, Peebles’ impact was enormous. Finishing the season as one of just three Illini to play in all 32 games, Peebles’ crowning achievement was shooting a blistering 45.2% from three which was the highest mark by any Illini who took more than one three pointer per game. 

Although Peebles had very respectable numbers from the three point line in her first three years, last season was a whole new level. Not only did Peebles improve upon her best shooting percentage by nearly 8%, she did so while taking the most threes in a season of her entire career. Becoming more efficient on higher volume is no joke.

Another moniker of Peebles’ game is quality defense and —  as to be expected of a defensive minded guard — she picked up her fair share of steals last season (20). But on top of that, standing at 5’10 allowed Peebles to not rack up steals, but also have the most blocks among Illinois guards (9) and third most on the team as a whole. While all blocks are considered equal on a stat sheet, Peebles’ game sealing block at Butler not only secured an impressive road win but also prevented what was nearly a 15-point collapse by Illinois.

When considering what Peebles’ role and development may look like with another year under Green, an interesting footnote is that on top of the improvements as a shooter and defender, Peebles brought in 20 offensive rebounds in 2022-23, despite totaling just 13 through her first three seasons. Offensive rebounding is by no means an essential trait of a three-and-d guard such as Peebles, but it is valuable as that is 20 extra possessions generated.

While it may be unfair to expect Peebles to take yet another dramatic leap, it is not out of the question and either way, a 45% three point shooter will be priceless for the 2023-24 Illini squad.

@blountco21