Illinois baseball’s Riley Gowens selected by Atlanta Braves in ninth round of MLB Draft

After five years in Champaign-Urbana, redshirt junior Riley Gowens will be continuing his professional career in the Atlanta Braves’ system. Gowens’ name was called towards the end of the second day, as a part of the ninth round and No. 279 overall pick.

Gowens first two seasons with the Illini were unfortunately completely ruled out due to injury, making his debut in 2021 rather than 2019 when he arrived on campus. 

Once on the field, Gowens shined. Producing 12 quality starts for a record of 2-5, including a combined no-hitter at Purdue, earned Gowens a selection to the All-Big Ten freshman team. His start against Purdue also accrued Collegiate Baseball Newspaper National Player of the Week and Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honors. 

As a redshirt sophomore in 2022, Gowens had already jumped to the No. 17 rated MLB prospect in the Big Ten and cut down his ERA by over an entire run (4.86). Starting in just one additional game, Gowens saw a significant improvement in his record and jumped to 5-4. 

Most recently, Gowens pitched in 12 starts during the 2023 season for a record of 2-3. Despite striking out 75 batters on the year while issuing just 16 walks, Gowens unfortunately saw his ERA jump back up to 6.30.

Atlanta has made 10 picks in the MLB Draft thus far, with Gowens being their eighth right handed pitcher selected at that. Considering that level of competition at his position within this Braves draft class alone, it is unclear at which level of their system his career will begin at.

@blountco21