UI para athletes take success with podium spots in first days of world competition

Only three days into the World Para Track and Field Championships in Paris, two Illini elite athletes and one UI alum have already claimed some hardware.

At her third world championship, three time Paralympian Susannah Scaroni claimed Team USA’s first medal of the competition by earning bronze in the women’s 5000 meters T54.

Scaroni raced a time of 11:09.14, coming in less than two seconds behind Switzerland’s Catherine Debrunner and Manuela Schär.

Brian Siemann, another three time Paralympian, brought the heat to his sixth world championship appearance by taking bronze in the men’s 400 meters T53 earlier today.

Finally, 20-time Paralympic medalist and UI alum Tatyana McFadden won a bronze medal earlier today in the women’s 800 meters T54.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter!

Closely following McFadden’s performance of 1:46.51 was UI’s Hannah Dederick, who earned a personal best in the event with 1:47.70.

World Para Track and Field Championships will continue through July 17, and can be streamed live on Peacock TV.

More information about the competition, athletes and classifications can be found here.