Tied for Big Ten lead, Illinois hosts Ohio State for major weekend series

Eric Chiang
Vytas Valincious celebrates hitting a homerun with the Illini during a baseball game on April 9.

The Illini have surprised many in the Big Ten at 26-15 overall and 11-4 in conference play. The preseason coaches poll ranked their predicted top-six finishers in the league, with Illinois absent. But, the Illini are tied for the Big Ten lead with the Purdue Boilermakers and have nine games remaining, all against conference opponents. 

This weekend, the Illini host the Ohio State Buckeyesmired in the middle of the standings with an overall record of 22-20 and a conference record of 7-8. Illinois has lost just one series since March 12, this one being at the hands of the Maryland Terrapins last weekend in College Park, Maryland.

The Illini walked it off in their last game against the No. 24 Indiana State Sycamores on a home run from senior outfielder Connor Milton. The homer came in the seventh inning, as the Illini run-ruled the Sycamores 21-11. This was one of seven homers the Illini hit in their midweek victory.

Junior infielder Ryan Moerman also had a standout performance against the Sycamores, crushing three home runs and taking over the lead in the Big Ten home run race with 15. Moerman and Illinois lead the conference in homers as well, and it’s not even close, with Indiana’s 62 the closest competitor to Illinois’ 83. 

The Illini also leads the conference in on-base plus slugging percentage at .941 and have a hefty advantage in the slugging category as well. As for the Buckeyes, they have a team OPS of .869 with 45 long balls to boot.

Last time out for the Buckeyes, they beat the Akron Zips 18-13 on Wednesday, pushing their win streak to three. Ohio State also beat Cincinnati and fellow Big Ten rival Michigan State on Tuesday and Sunday, respectively. The Buckeyes have struggled in road games, with an 8-12 record away from home, which could bode well for the Illini, who have a 16-1 record at Illinois Field.

Illinois’ 13-game home win streak is tied for the second-longest in the nation. Even more historic for Illinois, head coach Dan Hartleb’s offense is just eight home runs short of the program’s single-season record of 91 homers, set back in 1998. 

Friday’s series-opening first pitch is set for 6 p.m. as the Illini kick off their final homestand of the year, a six-game run at Illinois Field. Saturday’s game is set for a 3 p.m. start, with the Sunday matinee beginning at 1 p.m., all of which can be viewed on Big Ten Plus.

@arrosen76